Business Administration students enrolled prior to fall 2012 are required to complete a field experience to augment their classroom learning. Students can fulfill this requirement as early as summer before their junior year.
This course requires students to work a minimum of 35 hours at an off-campus organization or in a college unit where the skills they are learning in their degree program can be put to use. The field experience requirement has been designed specifically to give students a practical application that reinforces classroom learning.
To enroll for a field experience students must complete the Field Experience Agreement and then submit their completed paperwork to Professional Development Coordinator, Jessie Stone He by the add/drop deadline of the semester in which they will complete their experience. The application can either be scanned and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or be faxed to 607-274-1152 (Attn: Jessie Stone He).
To register for Field Experience during Summer 2013, students must submit completed applications by Friday, June 28 at 4:30 pm to Jessie Stone He, Professional Development Coordinator, in BUS 122. (If you are not on campus, please fax your completed application to 607-274-1152 [attn: Jessie Stone He] or scan your application and e-mail it to email@example.com.)
Students are issued a Pass/Fail grade for their Field Experience based on the timely completion of their final assignment, a final evaluation provided by their field experience supervisor (which is supplied to the supervisor by the Professional Development Coordinator), and a brief exit survey. The Assignment is an electronic portfolio which details the student's experience.
Creating an Electronic Portfolio
Step 1: Sign up for a free account at carbonmade.com.
Step 2: Use the following resources :
- Review an example of the assignment to submit
- Learn how to use the Carbonmade.com website for posting your reflection assignment
Step 3: Create your portfolio. It must include the following:
- a picture of you and a brief professional bio
- informational items about the company/agency;
- weekly log of the tasks performed and the value of these tasks to the company;
- reflections on at least three defining experiences of this field experience;
- reflections on the value of this field experience on your educational experience
- a photo/logo image must accompany each bulleted item above in order to make your writings viewable. These can be photos of your experience or photos pulled off from your company/agency's website. These photos will not be used by the School of Business in any way.
Step 4: Submit your portfolio to the Professional Development Coordinator
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your carbonmade site. For students completing their Field Experience during Summer 2013, online portfolios are due by 4:30 pm on Friday, August 2, 2013 (last day of classes). You may submit your portfolio for review any time before that if desired. To submit your portfolio, email email@example.com with your Carbonmade website address for review. Please make sure that you include your electronic signature in the e-mail communication! Note: once I have posted your grade, you are welcome to remove the site if you wish.