The curricula of most degree programs in the school involve expenses not covered by tuition for the academic year. These may include the cost of summer tuition, liability insurance, books, off-campus housing, transportation, and equipment. Such costs apply to summer internships and clinical education, which may be elected by students in clinical exercise science, exercise science, outdoor adventure leadership, physical therapy, recreation management, sport management, sport media, and therapeutic recreation.
- Athletic training majors must pay for malpractice liability insurance as juniors and seniors, as must some interns in clinical exercise science.
- Clinical exercise science and exercise science students are responsible for transportation, housing, and all other costs associated with their fieldwork and internship placements. Depending on the scope and nature of the placement, some students must also pay for malpractice liability insurance.
- Clinical health studies/physical therapy (D.P.T.) majors must pay tuition and other expenses associated with 6 credits of coursework taken in Rochester, New York, during the summer prior to the senior (fourth) year. They must pay additional tuition for 4 credits of clinical affiliation during the summer following the senior year and 8 credits of clinical affiliation during the summer at the end of the final year, in addition to other associated costs for each clinical affiliation (room, board, transportation, and liability insurance).
- Health policy studies majors must pay tuition, room, board, and other expenses associated with the summer internship following the junior year.
- Heath care management majors must pay tuition, room, board and other expenses associated with the internship credits if they are taken over the summer following the junior year.
- Health education and physical education students must pay room, board, and other expenses associated with student teaching placements.
- Health science and community health education students must pay room, board, and other expenses associated with fieldwork and internships.
- Occupational science/occupational therapy majors must pay tuition, room, board, and other expenses associated with 8 credits of coursework taken in Rochester, New York, during the summer following the junior (third) year. Occupational therapy majors must pay additional tuition for 6 credits of fieldwork during the summer before and 10 credits of fieldwork following coursework in the graduate year, and they are responsible for associated room, board, book, transportation, liability insurance, and other expenses. They are also responsible for the cost of transportation and liability insurance during practicums in their last two undergraduate years and during their graduate study and fieldwork.
- Speech-language pathology and audiology majors are required to furnish their own recorders for use in clinical work.
- Sport management and media students are responsible for transportation, housing, and all other costs associated with their internship and fieldwork placements.
- Outdoor adventure leadership, recreation management, and therapeutic recreation majors are responsible for the cost of liability insurance when enrolled in fieldwork and internship courses. Outdoor adventure leadership majors are responsible for purchasing their personal outdoor gear (sleeping bag, backpack, stove, heavy-duty backpacking boots, fleece jacket and pants, breathable nylon rain gear, and compass). Occasionally, students are charged an additional one-time fee to cover course expenses related to equipment, facility rental, or travel.
For more information see "Expenses" in the "Student Information" section.