Ithaca College

Ithaca College Home  >  Academics  >  Catalogs  > 

Important Declarations

General Information

School of Business

Roy H. Park School of Communications

School of Health Sciences and Human Performance

School of Humanities and Sciences

School of Music

Division of Interdisciplinary and International Studies

Division of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions

Student Information

Transfer Students

Advanced Placement Policy

International Baccalaureate Policy

CLEP Policy

Articulation Agreements

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)

International Students

Health Center


Residence/Off-Campus Policy

Student Aid

Academic Information

Faculty and Administration


Ithaca College Undergraduate Catalog 2002-2003

Previous PageNext Page


Basic Annual Costs 2004-2005

All costs are subject to change without notice; these fees are payable in U.S. currency.

Tuition and fees






Health insurance




The above rate for room is based on double occupancy; rates vary with the type of facility. The College has limited single, suite, and apartment accommodations at higher rates. Triple occupancy rooms are also available at a lower rate.

Additional Costs

Additional costs are involved in the following areas:

Roy H. Park School of Communications

The Park School does not require laboratory. However, students enrolled in certain courses may be required to supply their own equipment or materials, including computer data storage media. In cinema and photography, students are expected to furnish their own light meters and their own cameras for all still photography courses. In addition, students must purchase materials such as photographic film and paper, motion picture film, and mounting board. Because of the large number of production courses, B.F.A. majors will incur additional costs for materials.

School of Health Sciences and Human Performance

The curriculum of each program below requires fieldwork experience for which the related expenses (housing, transportation, uniforms, etc.) are borne by the students. Additional expense for professional liability insurance is required in athletic training clinical experiences, clinical exercise science internships, therapeutic recreation/leisure services fieldwork and internships, occupational therapy fieldwork, and physical therapy and speech-language pathology and audiology affiliations. Certain physical activity, leisure, and safety (PALS) and recreation courses may require a special fee as indicated in the course descriptions. The following are the additional costs incurred by majors of each department:

Exercise and sport sciences -- Students majoring in athletic training/exercise science or clinical exercise science are charged for malpractice liability insurance during their junior and senior years.

Health policy studies -- Summer internships are billed in accordance with prevailing summer tuition charges. Payment is due before the commencement of internships.

Occupational therapy -- Students are charged for malpractice liability insurance during the junior, senior, and graduate years of enrollment while they participate in level I and level II fieldwork experiences. In addition to the regular annual tuition, students are charged tuition for clinical fieldwork and other summer courses. Tuition for clinical fieldwork is calculated per credit at the prevailing summer sessions rate. For academic courses, it is calculated at the prevailing semester rate. Off-campus clinical assignments may entail additional costs to the student for travel, living expenses, immunizations, and uniforms. Professional books and materials tend to cost more than regular college textbooks and supplies.

Physical education -- Students who enroll in professional skill courses offered by the Department of Health Promotion and Human Movement must dress in appropriate physical activity attire as stipulated by the individual course instructor.

Physical therapy -- Students are charged for malpractice liability insurance during clinical affiliations. In addition to the regular annual tuition, students are charged tuition for clinical affiliations and other courses taught during the summer. Tuition for the clinical affiliations is calculated per credit at the prevailing summer session rate; for courses, it is calculated at the prevailing regular semester rate. Clinical affiliations may entail additional costs to the student for travel, living expenses, and health requirements.

Speech-language pathology and audiology -- Students are required to furnish their own recorders for use in clinical coursework. Off-campus practicum assignments (externships) and student teaching may entail additional expenses for travel or living expenses and for malpractice liability insurance.

Therapeutic recreation and leisure services -- Students majoring in therapeutic recreation or leisure services are charged for malpractice liability insurance during their internships and fieldwork experiences. Additional fees are charged in outdoor adventure courses to cover equipment rental, facilities rental, and food for day trips, overnight trips, and special events.

School of Music

Performance study fee -- All fees for private lessons are paid in addition to regular tuition.

Undergraduate, full-time, and part-time music majors and minors: No fees are charged for required lessons that are part of the degree program. For lessons not part of the degree program, the fee is $790. Such lessons consist of one-half hour of contact time per week per semester.

Undergraduate, full-time, and part-time non-music majors: A fee of $790 is charged for lessons, which consist of one-half hour of contact time per week per semester.

Explanation of Charges

Tuition for full-time students is based on a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 18 credits per semester. Students taking fewer than 12 credits will be charged $790 per credit plus a $15 part-time enrollment fee. Those who exceed 18 credits per semester will be charged for each additional credit.

Withdrawing from a course does not remove the responsibility for paying for that course if those credits caused the student to be billed for more than 18 credits. At the end of the add/drop period, students are liable for the credits for which they are enrolled at that time, regardless of a later withdrawal.

Full-time students who officially withdraw, take a leave of absence, or are dismissed from Ithaca College are charged a percentage of total tuition depending on the number of weeks attended. Weeks are counted from the first day of classes in each semester. No refunds are granted until the student completes the College's official withdrawal or leave of absence procedure. See p. 549 for the complete refund policy.

Students who change from full-time to part-time status must do so by the end of the second week of classes in order to receive a refund. No refunds are made to part-time students after the end of the second week of classes. Application forms for part-time status are available from the registrar.

If a student is called to active military duty during a semester, the College will apply, in full, any tuition paid for that semester to any future semester in which he or she may return. Room and board refunds will be issued on a pro rata basis consistent with our current policy.

Based on a 15-week semester, the following refund percentages apply to the appropriate charges:

1st week


2nd week


3rd week


4th week


5th week


6th week


7th week


8th week


9th week


Any recipients of Title IV financial aid (i.e., federal aid through subsidized or unsubsidized Stafford loan; PLUS or Perkins loans; Pell or SEOG grants; or work-study) or institutional, state, or private grants/scholarships need to refer to the section on "Federal Title IV Refund Procedures," p. 549.


All students residing in College housing facilities, with the exception of those in apartments with cooking facilities, must participate in the College residential meal plan. Upon official withdrawal or dismissal, a refund is given on board charges in accordance with the schedule above. Student teachers may make arrangements for a proportional reduction in charges to cover the periods they will be off campus.

Health Center Expenses

The Ithaca College health center will administer or coordinate care for all illnesses or injuries that may occur to matriculated Ithaca College students. The College charges for some services at the health center, such as X rays, laboratory tests, medications, and special treatments.

Health and Accident Insurance

Health and accident insurance is available to all matriculated students. The health and accident policy is specifically designed to complement Ithaca College's health center services. Copies of the insurance brochure are sent to every student each year. Contact the health center for answers to your questions. Coverage is mandatory except with a waiver giving written proof of other insurance coverage, which must be submitted each year by the date listed in the semester billing information.

Personal Property

The College does not carry insurance on students' personal belongings or student-registered motor vehicles and is not responsible for loss or damage from any cause. Students are advised to check their families' homeowner's insurance and motor vehicle insurance policies. If the policies do not cover belongings at college, the student may wish to secure optional personal property insurance offered to all matriculating students. A brochure detailing coverages and costs is mailed to students every year. Possessions may be left in the owner's room over vacations during the regular academic year, but not over the summer months.

Special Fees and Deposits

Security Deposit

A security deposit of $100 is required of all incoming first-year, transfer, and readmitted students. The deposit, less any outstanding charges, is refunded upon graduation or withdrawal.

All deposit refunds are mailed in the student's name to his or her permanent address unless the bursar's office is instructed otherwise.

Advance Deposits for Continuing Students

Students who wish to register in advance for the ensuing fall semester must pay an advance deposit of $250 by March 15. Failure to pay the deposit by this deadline will prevent a student from registering in advance for classes for the next semester and from participating in the residence hall lottery. This deposit is credited in full to the student's bill for the fall semester. The deposit is refundable in full to students who are not academically qualified to continue and to those who officially withdraw by June 15. Any student withdrawing after that date will not receive a refund.

Other Common Undergraduate Charges

Application fee (nonrefundable) -- $55

Late payment fee (nonrefundable) -- $200 per month

Accounts not paid in full on or before August 10 for the fall semester and January 10 for the spring semester will be assessed a late payment fee each month that a balance remains outstanding.

Parking permit

· for cars, trucks, etc. (per year) -- $200 (freshmen)

· for cars, trucks, etc. (per year) -- $100 (upperclassmen)

· for motorcycles (per year) -- $15

The cost of books and supplies varies greatly, depending on specific course requirements and whether new or used texts are purchased. The average cost is $467 per semester.

General Regulations

1. All rates are subject to change without notice.

2. All regular charges are billed on a semester basis. Students will not be allowed to register or be admitted to classes until satisfactory payment has been made.

3. Student accounts must be settled prior to leaving the College. Diplomas and transcripts will be withheld from students whose accounts are in arrears for any reason, including nonpayment of tuition and fees, fines, or medical charges. In the event that it is necessary to refer an overdue account for collection, the student and parents shall be obligated additionally to pay all interest, collection, disbursement, and attorney fees.

4. All bills are payable in United States currency.

5. All federal Stafford student loan checks payable to the student and the College must be deposited to the student's account. Credit balances resulting from this deposit will be refunded to the student. Upon receipt of a written request to the bursar to do so, a student may leave the credit on his or her account for the following semester instead of obtaining a refund.

Previous PageNext Page

Contacting the CollegeDirectoriesSite IndexIthaca College HomeIthaca College Home

A. Ozolins, Office of Publications, 21. October, 2002