Ithaca College

Ithaca College Home  >  Academics  >  Catalogs  > 

Important Declarations

General Information

School of Business

Roy H. Park School of Communications

School of Health Sciences and Human Performance

School of Humanities and Sciences

School of Music

Division of Interdisciplinary and International Studies

Division of Continuing Education and Summer Sessions

Student Information

Transfer Students

Advanced Placement Policy

International Baccalaureate Policy

CLEP Policy

Articulation Agreements

Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)

International Students

Health Center


Residence/Off-Campus Policy

Student Aid

Academic Information

Faculty and Administration


Ithaca College Undergraduate Catalog 2005-2006

Previous PageNext Page

Residence/Off-Campus Policy

Ithaca College is a residential college. The College recognizes the developmental value of a residentially based education and believes that residence hall living is a key component of a student's overall educational experience. For these reasons, provisions are made to house all students on campus throughout their undergraduate years. Students are required to live on campus for their freshman, sophomore, and junior years, unless they apply for and receive off-campus approval from the Office of Residential Life. A student with senior-year status is considered exempt from the residence policy. Under current housing processes, a senior is a student who is eligible for a "senior" room lottery number in February of the semester prior to the student's senior year. Once the academic year has begun, only students with 90 or more earned credits at the start of fall semester or 105 or more earned credits at the start of spring semester will be considered seniors. Any student with senior-year status who wishes to reside on campus for the senior year must submit a senior intention form. Students with senior standing who do not submit a senior intention form or participate in room lottery will be considered off campus.

Non-seniors should not sign leases or make any other commitments for off-campus housing without written approval to move off campus from the Office of Residential Life. Any non-senior who moves off campus without the written approval of the Office of Residential Life will be billed for room and board charges. The College remains committed to maintaining fully occupied residence halls. Since over-occupied residence halls can negatively affect the community, if housing projections for an upcoming academic year indicate that the residence halls will be over-occupied, a limited off-campus application process may be conducted for non-seniors. Non-seniors should not sign off-campus lease agreements in anticipation of being approved to live off campus. The Office of Residential Life offers one off-campus process during February to grant off-campus approval for the following academic year. There are no provisions for exceptions to the off-campus policy. At any time, a student living off campus may request to return campus housing. These requests will be reviewed and approved on a space-available basis.

Readmitted students and students returning from the London Center, other Ithaca College study-abroad programs, the Ithaca College communications program in Los Angeles, the Washington Semester Program, and student teaching or internships or from a leave of absence must resume their previous housing status (i.e., campus resident or off campus) upon return to campus, unless they have senior-year status, as defined above. Married students, students in domestic partnerships or civil unions, students who are 23 years of age or older, incoming transfer students who have previously been enrolled at a college for at least two years, students with dependents, and students who meet the criteria for being a commuter student as defined by the College's commuter policy (see below) are not required to live in College-provided housing. Students who meet the exempt criteria and opt to live on campus must remain on campus for the entire academic year.

Incoming freshmen are guaranteed on-campus housing. Occasionally, the demand for housing by other incoming students (i.e., transfers or readmits) or returning students may exceed the capacity of our residence halls. In this event, incoming freshmen and transfers may be assigned to temporary accommodations. Other incoming students or students returning to housing may be notified that on-campus housing is not available for them.

If a student has documented special needs, the Office of Residential Life will make every effort to provide the most appropriate on-campus housing assignment, in consultation with health services, academic support services, the counseling center, or other appropriate college offices.

Commuter Policy

A student is eligible for commuter status if he or she lives within a 60-mile radius of Ithaca College and is living at the home of a parent or legal guardian. Students seeking commuter status must complete a commuter request application (available at the Office of Residential Life) and receive written approval from the Office of Residential Life in order to be released from room and board charges. Students who cease to meet the criteria for commuter status will be required to reside on campus and will be billed for appropriate room and board charges. Any student who misrepresents him- or herself as a commuter student may be subject to disciplinary action under the student conduct code and may be billed for room and board charges.

Part-Time Students

Undergraduate students who are not enrolled full-time (i.e., for at least 12 credits per semester) at Ithaca College may be subject to removal from the residence halls at the discretion of the Office of Residential Life. However, dropping to part-time status does not automatically make a student exempt from living on campus. Any questions regarding part-time status should be directed to the Office of Residential Life.

Board Requirements

All students residing in College housing facilities (with the exception of apartments in the Quad, College Circle, and Garden Apartments) must participate in the College meal plan. A commuter meal plan is also available to apartment residents and off-campus students. Students who have special dietary needs should contact Dining Services.

Previous PageNext Page

Contacting the CollegeDirectoriesSite IndexIthaca College HomeIthaca College Home

A. Ozolins, Office of Creative Services, 15. July, 2005