POD Leadership Development Institute
Inclusive Leadership in a Diverse World:
Leading the Change Conversation in Your Institution
June 9-12, 2014
Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
Hosted by Ithaca College and Cornell University
Keynote Speaker: Dr. A. T. Miller
Associate Vice Provost for Academic Diversity Initiatives, Cornell University
Co-Editor: The Scholarship of Multicultural Teaching and Learning. Wiley.
With the participation of the Cornell Interactive Theatre Ensemble (CITE)
The Cornell Interactive Theatre Ensemble (CITE) will help us achieve our Institute vision and goals. CITE takes concepts of diversity and inclusion and, through theatre, makes them real for participants. The resulting dialog will help Institute participants develop a plan that offers faculty leaders tools for creating an inclusive environment.
- How can higher education meet the needs of a diverse society in a globalizing world?
- How can we have a truly inclusive academy that draws on the wisdom and skills of every member?
These questions and their possible answers are of great import to the development of academic leaders. This Ithaca College and Cornell University Institute will provide theoretical and practical resources designed to facilitate inclusive leadership.
Opening Event: Monday June 9 at 7:00 PM
We will begin with an evening event on Monday, June 9, followed by 2.5 days of active learning. The Institute will provide multiple opportunities for interaction, skills development, and reflection. We will draw upon the rich literature on inclusive leadership from the fields of faculty and organizational development.
The institute will use an active learning approach to:
- Help create a model for leading the change conversation about diversity
- Build capacity for inclusive leadership that is responsive to faculty and institutional needs
- Create a process for institutional change that is replicable
- Establish a community of practice among educational developers around inclusion
The Institute will be held in the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of Upstate New York. Ithaca is a culturally diverse city that attracts visitors, students and scholars from around the globe. Well known for its scenic beauty, hiking trails, gorges, and waterfalls, Ithaca is also home to more restaurants per capita than New York City. For more tourism information, please see sidebar links on the right.
Wade E. Pickren
Pamela G. LoRusso Strausser