General Mathematics Education:
Grouws, Douglas A., editor. Handbook of
Research on Teaching and Learning. New York, N.Y.: Macmillan
Publishing Co., 1992.
Martin. "The Pedagogy of Poverty
Versus Good Teaching." Phi Delta Kappan, December
1991, p. 290-294. [pdf]
- Hiebert, James. "Relationships
between Research and the NCTM Standards." Journal for Research
in Mathematics Education 30 (January 1999): 3-19.
- Johnson, Jerry. Teaching and Learning Mathematics: Using
Research to Shift from the "Yesterday" Mind to the "Tomorrow"
Mind. Olympia, WA: Resource Center, Office of the Superintendent
of Public Instruction, 2000.
- National Commission of Excellence in Education. A
Nation at Risk: The Imperative for Educational Reform.
Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1983.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. An Agenda for
Action: Recommendations for School Mathematics in the 1980s.
Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1980.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Assessment Standards
for School Mathematics. Reston, VA: National Council of Teachers
of Mathematics, 1995.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Curriculum and
Evaluation Standards for School Mathematics. Reston, VA: National
Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 1989.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Principles
and Standards for School Mathematics. Reston, VA: National
Council of Teachers of Mathematics, 2000.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Professional
Standards for Teaching Mathematics. Reston, VA: National Council
of Teachers of Mathematics, 1991.
- National Research Council. Adding
it Up: Helping Children Learn Mathematics. Washington, D.C.:
National Academy Press, 2000.
- National Research Council. A
Challenge of Numbers: People in the Mathematical Sciences.
Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press, 1990.
- National Research Council, Mathematical Sciences Education Board.
Counts: A Report to the Nation on the Future of Mathematics Education.
Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1989 (see the references
- National Research Council. How
People Learn: Brain, Mind Experience, and School. Washington,
DC: National Academy Press, 2000.
- Robinson, E.E., M.F. Robinson, J.C. Maceli. "The Impact of Standards-based
Instructional Materials in Mathematics in the Classroom." In Learning
Mathematics for a New Century: 2000 Yearbook. Reston, VA:
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Schmidt, William H., Curtis C. McKnight, and S.A. Raisen. A
Splintered Vision: An Investigation of U.S. Science and Mathematics
Education. Boston, MA: Kluer Academic Publishers, 1996.
- Schoenfeld, Alan H. "When
Good Teaching Leads to Bad Results: The Disasters of Well Taught
Mathematics Classes." Educational Psychologist 23 (Spring
- Seldon, Annie and John. "Should
Mathematicians and Mathematics Educators be Listening to Cognitive
Psychologists?" MAA Online. Washington, DC: Mathematical
Association of America, MAA No.2 (February 28, 1997).
- Stevenson, Harold W., and Stigler, James W. The Learning
Gap: Why Our Schools Are Failing and What We Can Learn from Japanese
and Chinese Education. New York: Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- Stigler, James W., and Hiebert, James. The Teaching Gap:
Best Ideas from the World's Teachers for Improving Education in
the Classroom. New York: The Free Press, 1999.
Story of an Experiment"
I-III, by L. P. Benezet
Originally published in The Journal of the National Education
Association, Vol. 24, No. 8, Nov.1935, pp. 241-244; Vol.
24, No. 9, Dec.1935, pp. 301-303; Vol. 25, No.1, Jan.1936,
IV, by Andrew M. Gleason, Professor of Mathematics Emeritus,
a New Course: A Study of the Adoption and Implementation of Standards-Based
Mathematics Curricula in Eight Minnesota School Districts
Summaries. Newton, MA: K-12 Mathematics Curriculum Center,
June 2000 (Fourth Edition).
- Goldsmith, Lynn T., Mark, June, and Kantrov, Ilene. Choosing
a Standards-Based Mathematics Curriculum. Portsmouth, N.H.:
Heinemann Publishing, 2000.
- M. Harwell, T. Post, Y. Maeda, J. Davis, A. Cutler, E. Andersen,
and J. Kahan. "Standards-based Mathematics Curricula
and Secondary Students' Performance on Standardized Achievement
Tests." Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
38:1 (January 2007): 71-101.
- Senk, Sharon L. and Thompson, Denisse R., eds. Standards-based
School Mathematics Curricula: What Are They? What do Students
Learn? Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2003.
| What Is COMPASS | Choosing
a Curriculum | Curriculum Details
| Resources | Contact