iPad Pilot (Fall 2016 and Spring 2017)
Since Fall 2012 Digital Instruction and Information Services and the Center for Faculty Excellence have sponsored the Faculty iPad Pilot Program. DIIS loans twenty 3rd generation iPads per term to faculty members. We welcome all Ithaca College faculty to participate in an online iPad faculty learning community in Sakai.
- Apply now for Fall 2016 and Spring 2017.
- Applicants can apply for personal exploration or with a group or lab.
iPads distributed by Sept 8, 2016
iPads returned to DIIS by Dec. 15,2016
Applications due by Dec 15,2016.
iPad distributed week of Jan 16,2017
iPad due to DIIS May 11,2017
Purpose of the Pilot
- To explore the use of the iPad for group work in the field, clinical settings and the classroom.
- To explore the use of tablet computing for teaching, research, and personal productivity.
- To learn basic skills of operating an iPad for a variety of functions such as creating media, note taking, annotation.
- To find discipline-specific apps, eBooks, or uses of the iPad.
- To create a faculty iPad community for sharing ideas and experiences.
- For ITS to gain experience supporting tablet devices in an institutional setting.
- The iPads are 3rd generation iPads (16 GB) with wireless and 4G capability. 3G service costs are not included in the iPad Pilot.
- Each iPad will come with a case.
- There are 5 keyboard-cases available.
iPad Pilot Activities
Pilot participants who are working on a group project will be:
- Required to work closely with DIIS to coordinate the logistics of managing multiple iPads for their collaborators.
All pilot participants will be:
- As of 2015, the ipad pilot has reduced the organized meetings and it focuses more on self-exploration. We would love to have you share your experiences.
- Added to a Sakai Site called "iPad Pilot" for links to resources and to communicate with the other iPad Pilot participants.
- Encouraged to go through a set of tasks at their own pace from setting up email to making videos to downloading iBooks.
- Encouraged to do a small project or investigation of apps, books, or uses of the iPad for their own research or teaching.
- Encouraged to attend iPad round tables.
- Encouraged to share their experiences with their colleagues.
- All full time faculty, with a minimum of a one year appointment are eligible to apply to be in the pilot.
- Prior experience with tablets is not necessary.
- Applications consist of a short form which includes the applicant's goals for participating in the pilot.
- The iPad is not a gift and remains the property of Ithaca College and must be returned by respectve due dates.
- Participants must have an Apple ID to sync their iPad and download free or paid Apps or iBooks.
- Personal data will be removed after iPads are returned.