In an effort to present Ithaca College e-mail communication in a professional and consistent manner, the Office of Marketing Communications has published recommended standards for the e-mail signatures of faculty and staff for their “@ithaca.edu” accounts. See the link under IC Resources in the right sidebar for more information as well as sample signatures.
Creating a signature in popular Ithaca College email programs:
Note that the pipe (|) character is recommended for separating elements of the signature. This character is usually found on the back slash key (\) (above the Enter/Return key on the right side of the keyboard). Press shift+back slash to create the pipe character.
Outlook 2010 for Windows
- On the Home tab, double-click the New E-mail icon in the top left corner.
- On the Message tab, in the Include group, click Signature, and then click Signatures…
- On the E-mail Signature tab, click New
- Type a name for the signature (e.g., “Standard”), and then click OK.
- In the Edit signature box, type the text that you want to include in the signature.
- To format the text, select the text, and then use the style and formatting buttons to select the options that you want.
- When you have finished, click OK, then click the X in the top right corner to close the Message window.
- At the Microsoft Outlook prompt, click Yes to confirm that you want to save changes.
- Repeat this procedure to create additional signatures, giving each one a unique name
Outlook 2011 for Macs
- On the Outlook menu, click Preferences.
- Under E-mail, click Signatures.
- Click the + sign at the bottom of the window
- Double-click on "Untitled" and type a name for your signature.
- Enter your signature in the Signature box on the right.
- Click Default Signatures... at the bottom of the screen
- To the right of your account name click the double arrows and select the name of the signature you just created.
- Click OK.
- Repeat this procedure to create additional signatures (if needed), giving each one a unique name
- Close the Signatures window.
- Enter your account password if prompted.
Outlook Web App
- Click the gear icon to the right of your name (top right of screen)
- Click Options
- Click Settings in the left menu
- Click on Mail at the top of the page
- Type the text for your signature in the space provided
- To make email or Web page addresses active links in your signature, select the address text, copy the text, click the Insert Hyperlink icon on the toolbar (the globe with blue chain links), paste the copied text, click OK
- Check the box to "Automatically include my signature on messages I send"
- Click Save at the bottom of the page
- Click on Mail at the top right of the screen to return to your mailbox