Student Employment 2014-2015
Thank you for your interest in working in the exciting world of events. We are are now hiring for the 2014-2015 academic year.
ACADEMIC YEAR JOB SUMMARIES
Thank you for your interest in working for the Office of the Campus Center and Event Services. Applications are now available for the 2014-2015 Academic Year. All applicants must be enrolled (at least) for the Fall 2014 and be in good judicial standing. Please review the job descriptions below.
Operation Staff Job Description:
The Operations Staff are an integral part of the Campus Center and Event Services office. Consisting of over 35 student employees, the Operations Staff help maintain the Information Desk, Recreation Center, and Set-Ups for all events in the Campus Center facility. Operations Staff will be paid $8.00 per hour for up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.
- Information Desk: The Operations Staff members must be knowledgeable about events happening around the college and different departments at IC. They should be able to answer questions in a timely and correct manner. Operations Staff also manage the campus Lost and Found, which includes tagging, tracking, and retrieving lost items.
- Recreation Center: The Operations Staff also oversees all activities, ensuring that customers are utilizing equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Additionally, the Operations Staff members act as “Party Hosts” for birthday parties held in this space, assisting with the events as needed.
- Set-Ups: These shifts are spread out throughout the week at random times and require schedule flexibility. The Operations Staff must have thorough knowledge of where set up equipment is stored in the building, proper and safe use of equipment, and working knowledge of set up terms and styles.
Requirements: Operations Staff members must exhibit outstanding customer service while working independently. They must be able to take direction and complete assigned tasks, while displaying a positive attitude and willingness to help others. Operations Staff must be able to work early mornings, late nights and weekends, so flexibility is essential. They must attend weekly meetings, as well as training in the fall and spring, prior to the start of classes. During student vacation times (i.e., fall break, thanksgiving break, winter break and spring break, etc.) as well as senior week/commencement, CCES still has a need for student employees to cover shifts. As a result, it is expected Operations Staff should be willing to stay late or return early during these times.
The application deadline is Wednesday, November 12, 2014.
Interviews will take place the week of November 17, 2014.
EVENT & MARKETING COORDINATOR
- GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Prior experience in planning, coordinating, or marketing events (CMD/IMC major preferred)
- Desire to work in the field of event production after graduation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible work availability (ability to work during holidays and academic breaks)
- Ability to flourish in a rapidly changing environment
The Event and Marketing Coordinator (EMC) is responsible for a variety of tasks, including:
- Meeting with clients to discuss information pertinent to their events.
- Assisting clients with planning room set up, audio visual services, parking, public safety, information technology, and catering services.
- Using R25, Microsoft Excel, and Word to keep a log of all service requests
- Providing marketing services; competency in Adobe Photoshop for advertisements, as well as an understanding of other available media (social and other), are crucial
- Estimating event budgets
- Answering all of the clients' questions pertaining to their events
- Supervising events planned by CCES staff:
- Assisting the clients and service providers to meet requirements as outlined in the event summaries
- Resolving all on-site complications by communicating with service providers and full-time CCES staff
- Ensure the delivery of the services necessary for an event including catering set-up, beverage service, parking, all of the service providing departments or businesses and the client
- Shadowing EMC staff to gain knowledge of event services and customer service skills
- The EMC operates in a fast-paced professional environment. Thus, we expect you to conduct yourself accordingly.
- Although you will be guided by a more experienced EMC, we expect you to learn quickly, and navigate the event planning and marketing process independently by the end of your first semester.
Apply on-line at the Campus Center & Event Services website: www.ithaca.edu/eventservices/studentemployment/jdes/
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The Production Technician staff is responsible for ensuring that all audio-visual requirements for events have been met as requested. Staff set-up, operate, and strike a variety of professional level sound, lighting, and projection equipment. They are responsible for some equipment maintenance, keeping storage areas clean and organized and tracking inventory. Many shifts occur late at night, early in the morning and on weekends. Production Technicians are expected to work these shifts as needed. Technicians must have prior audio-visual experience as well as possess leadership and interpersonal skills, a positive attitude toward customer services and a high level of commitment and flexibility. Apply Online. (Applicants will be contacted in late summer. Interviews will take place in the beginning of the fall 2014 semester.)