Here are some of the questions that we're frequently asked by prospective graduate students:
- What credit cards are accepted for the required $40 application fee?
- What are the next steps after I submit my application?
- How quickly will the admission decision be made on my application?
- When are assistantship decisions made?
- What is the application deadline for my program?
- How do I know if you've received my letters of recommendation or other materials?
- If I am accepted can I defer my admission to a later date?
The application fee can be paid online by credit card. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
- Pay application fee (if not done at time of submission).
- Arrange to have official transcripts and letters of recommendation sent to the Office of Admission.
- If applying to the School of Music, submit an audition request form.
- Submit GRE or GMAT test scores, if required.
- Monitor application checklist regularly to determine if there are outstanding items. Continue monitoring once application is complete, for news of your decision.
It's difficult to provide a specific answer because every program is different and it depends on the time of year that you apply.
For most programs decisions are made by April 15, except for summer's only music students. Decisions are made by the graduate chairperson and you will be notified separately from your admission decision.
Application deadlines vary by program. Please visit the Admission Requirements page for specifics.
You can monitor what items have been received and what items remain outstanding from the App Checklist menu in your myIthaca account.
You can request that your admission be deferred. To do so, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with information on the reasons for your deferral and what you plan to do during the period of deferral. Your request will be reviewed and you will be notified of the decision. If your request to defer is granted, you will need to submit the $150 enrollment deposit to secure your space.