Here are some of the questions that we're frequently asked by prospective graduate students:
- What credit cards are accepted for the required $40 application fee?
- What are the next steps after I submit my application?
- How quickly will the admission decision be made on my application?
- When are assistantship decisions made?
- What is the application deadline for my program?
- How do I know if you've received my letters of recommendation or other materials?
- If I am accepted can I defer my admission to a later date?
- How do I submit transcripts for my application?
- Where should I send my recommendations?
- What are the school codes for submitting test scores?
The application fee can be paid online by credit card. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
- Pay application fee (if not done at time of submission).
- Arrange to have official transcripts and letters of recommendation sent to the Office of Admission.
- If applying to the School of Music, submit an audition request form.
- Submit GRE or GMAT test scores, if required.
- Monitor application checklist regularly to determine if there are outstanding items. Continue monitoring once application is complete, for news of your decision.
It's difficult to provide a specific answer because every program is different and it depends on the time of year that you apply.
For most programs decisions are made by April 15, except for summer's only music students. Decisions are made by the graduate chairperson and you will be notified separately from your admission decision.
Application deadlines vary by program. Please visit the Admission Requirements page for specifics.
You can monitor what items have been received and what items remain outstanding from the App Checklist menu in your myIthaca account.
You can request that your admission be deferred. To do so, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with information on the reasons for your deferral and what you plan to do during the period of deferral. Your request will be reviewed and you will be notified of the decision. If your request to defer is granted, you will need to submit the $150 enrollment deposit to secure your space.
It is your responsibility to contact each institution to request that transcripts be sent to Admissions by the appropriate closing date.
- Request one official transcript from each collegiate institution you have ever attended regardless of whether you received college credit from that institution.
- Failure to disclose and submit transcripts from all colleges attended, even if no credit was earned, may result in denial of admission or dismissal.
- You must send transcripts showing coursework through the most recently completed quarter or semester.
Official paper transcripts should be mailed by the Registrar of the sending institution to:
Office of Admission
953 Danby Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
An official transcript may be sent electronically by the Registrar using the sending institution’s secure electronic submission system to email@example.com.
Transcripts sent from a personal e-mail are not official.
Recommenders must submit letters electronically. As you complete the graduate application you will be asked to submit the names and e-mail addresses of your recommenders. When you submit your application, those you have named will receive a message which will allow them to electronically submit their recommendations directly to Ithaca College.
If you wish to have additional letters added to your application, direct the recommender to the online submission form.
Applicants to the School of Music will submit recommendations as part of the required audition scheduling process.
Some programs require applicants to submit standardized test scores. When requesting official score reports, please use the appropriate code for delivery to Ithaca College:
GRE = 2325
TOEFL = 2325