Frequently Asked Questions
Veggie Burgers with Mushrooms
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, shredded and squeezed dry (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 small carrot, finely diced
- 1 cup plain or whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire or soy sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups assorted mushrooms, sliced
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- Mayonnaise and/or mustard, for garnish
- Baby spinach or arugula, for garnish
- Smash the beans in a bowl with a potato masher or fork until slightly chunky. Add the onion, walnuts, carrot, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, scallions, parsley and 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until combined.
- Spread the remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs on a plate. Form the bean mixture into 4 patties; lightly coat with the breadcrumbs, shaking off any excess. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook until golden and slightly crisp, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the burgers to a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and the remaining 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce; season with salt and pepper and cook until the mushrooms are slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the burgers on the English muffins with mayonnaise and/or mustard, baby greens and mushrooms.