Frequently Asked Questions
Angel Food Cake
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- Whisk the flour and ¾ cup of the sugar together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whip the egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Whip in the cream of tartar and salt until the whites form very soft, billowy mounds. Increase the speed to medium and beat in the remaining ¾ cup sugar one tablespoon at a time, until the whites are shiny and form soft peaks. Beat in the lemon juice and extracts.
- Sift ¼ cup of the flour mixture over the egg whites, then gently fold in using a large rubber spatula. Repeat until the remaining flour mixture ¼ cup at a time.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake in 325 degree oven until the cake is golden brown and the top springs back when pressed about 50-60 minutes.
- Invert the tube pan over a standard kitchen funnel or the neck of a sturdy bottle. Let the cake cool completely, upside down, 2-3 hours before serving.