Student Information

Ithaca College Student Employee Handbook

Mission of Student Employment

The Office of Student Employment’s mission is to help those students looking for work while attending Ithaca College find employment and gain work experience. Student Employment is here to offer students work experience to groom them for real world jobs when they graduate college and find careers of their own. We strive to set an example of how students should act while instilling the highest ethical values and work performance.

Overview of Student Employment

The Office of Student Employment is here to provide part-time employment to current, actively registered students to help them offset their educational costs. In order to be eligible for Federal Work Study on campus, students must fill out a FAFSA. **Note: Money earned by the student does not credit to their tuition bill.**

Students that do not receive an employment award as part of their Financial Aid package may still apply for a job on campus.

Finding a Job at Ithaca College

Students looking for a job on campus or through off-campus federal work study program should log on to Ithaca’s website and view the current openings on the Job Database. The Job Database is located on the Student Employment web page ( Undergraduate and Graduate Students cannot be employed as a staff/faculty member while working as a student. Extramural students are not eligible to work on campus as student employees. Graduate Students can work on campus but they must be enrolled in classes and be considered an active student for the semester they wish to work.

Incoming Students:

An employment award in a student’s financial aid package is determined through the annual application for financial aid known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). An employment award is an offer, not a guarantee, of a job. Awards typically provide approximately 10 to 12 hours of work per week. Students are paid every two weeks, usually by direct deposit to a designated bank account anywhere in the United States. The employment award is NOT credited to a student’s account.

In the spring semester, first-year students who qualify for federal work study who wish to be placed in our off-campus community service program, which provides employment with nonprofit agencies in the Ithaca area, can contact us regarding eligibility and placement/openings. The number of placements/openings is limited, and referral by the Student Employment Office is required.

Current Students:

To obtain employment as a student at IC,

  1. Search the jobs database to find a job of interest as follows:
  • Select an employment term.
  • Select a category or search by keyword.
  • Select a particular job to review the description. If interested, you may contact the person whose name and phone number is listed.

2.         Follow the instructions to apply.

Note: Please direct inquiries regarding pay rate to the contact person listed on the job description.


Requirements for Employment


After securing a job but before beginning to work, first-time employees must visit the Student Employment Office to complete I-9 and tax forms (W-4 and  an IT 2104). Specific original documentation is required, as specified by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Acceptable Documentation

To provide proof of identity and employment eligibility, a new employee must provide either one document from list A or one each from lists B and C. Documents must be originals or certified copies as specified. (Note: Notarized copies are NOT acceptable)

List A: Documents that establish both identity and employment eligibility (Providing one document from this list fulfills all requirements.)

  • United States Passport or U.S. Passport Card (unexpired)
  • Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (form I-551)
  • An unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94, bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer

List B: Documents that establish identity (To fulfill requirements, one document from this list must accompany one document from list C.)

  • Driver’s License or ID card issued by a state or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • ID card issued by federal, state, or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  • School ID card with a photograph
  • Voter’s Registration Card
  • U.S. military card or draft record
  • Military dependent’s ID card
  • U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  • Native American tribal document
  • Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority

For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above

  • School record or report card
  • Clinic, doctor, or hospital record
  • Day-care or nursery school record

List C: Documents that establish employment eligibility (To fulfill requirements, one document from this list must accompany one document from list B.)

  • U.S. social security card issued by the Social Security Administration (other than a card stating it is invalid for employment)
  • Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545 or Form DS-1350)
  • Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority or outlying possession of the United States bearing an official seal
  • Native American tribal document
  • U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
  • ID card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  • Unexpired employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (other than those in list A)


Please note Ithaca College’s policy states that while classes are in session, students are limited to working 20 hours per week, which includes all Ithaca College Student employment.

When a student is on break, they may work no more than 40 hours per week. (Full week sessions only i.e. Spring Break, Winter Break, or during summer sessions)

Student Wages

Students will start out at minimum wage $8.75. Supervisors have the discretion to give students raises or start them out at a higher wage. Raises are not guaranteed. Students that are full time (taking more than 6 credit hours of classes) will receive wages that are FICA exempt. (This meaning that they will not be taxed for Social Security and Medicare tax) Students who are taking less than 6 credit hours will NOT be FICA exempt.

Summer Employment

Students working during the summer will not be FICA exempt. If a student wants to work during the summer they MUST be enrolled as an active student for either the current summer session or for the upcoming fall semester. If an undergraduate student graduates in May and is not returning as a graduate student the upcoming fall semester they are not eligible to work during the summer after they graduate.

Payment for Hours Worked

It is the student’s responsibility to enter and submit an online time card in Parnassus before the payroll cutoff for any and all hours worked during that payroll period. Failure to do so will delay payment until the following scheduled pay day.

Pay Days

Pay periods run from Monday – Sunday. Pay days will be on a bi-weekly basis paid on Fridays. If you are not enrolled in direct deposit, checks will be mailed to your on campus address that Friday. However, if you are enrolled in direct deposit, in most cases, your payroll funds will be available to you that Friday morning.

Employer/Employee Conflicts

When work-related conflicts arise, the employer and employee should attempt to resolve the problem informally. Most times, the discussion between the two parties resolves the issue. However, many problems can be averted through open communication of realistic expectations on both the supervisor and the employee.


Use the following suggestions to resolve employer/employee conflicts:

  • Address problems as they arise, not after they build up
  • Deal with minor concerns before they become major problems
  • Review responsibilities, duties and expectations. Make sure they are clear to both the supervisor and the student.
  • Avoid personalizing critical moments. Discussions regarding performance should be held in private.


Most departments have come up with their own disciplinary procedures and will discuss this with you upon starting a job in their department. The general policy around campus seems to be “three strikes and you’re out of a job”. You should receive a verbal warning for the first offense, a written warning for the second offense and a suspension for the third offense. After all these warnings, if you commit another offense, you will lose your job.

Dress Code

When the student is interviewing for a prospective position, they will inquire about the dress code for that department/site. Each department/site is different and will each have their own dress code. Please be respectful in your appearance. You are representing the college and yourself, show pride in how you appear. Remember, it only takes a few seconds to make a first impression.


Students will be evaluated by their supervisors at the end of each semester or more if requested or warranted. This keeps the open line of communication between the student and their supervisor so that the student can make sure they are making progress with their current position.

Injured on the job

If you are injured on the job, you should tell your supervisor immediately. A copy of the injury report should be sent to Student Employment.


If an illness comes up, please let your supervisor know. Call them as soon as you can so they may find someone to cover your shift.

When you come to work, you are doing just that, coming to work. Please do not bring your homework to do with you. If you run out of things to do, see your supervisor so that they may find additional work for you.

Your friends should also not be visiting you at work. Please arrange another time for your friends to meet up with you after or before work.


If you would like to resign from your position, you must give a formal 2 week notice to your supervisor. You should take the following steps in giving your resignation:

  1. Clearly and simply state when your last day will be.
  2. Give the letter of resignation to your supervisor.
  3. Turn in any keys or IDs you may have acquired in your position.
  4. Work out the full two-week notice unless you are not needed. You should always be prepared to put in the same effort as if you didn’t give a notice. Also, offer assistance to train someone else if needed.

Work Schedule

When you first report to your new job, you should be sure to give your supervisor a copy of your schedule including all class times, club meetings, sporting events, etc. so your supervisor can schedule your shifts accordingly. If any changes come up in your schedule, you should notify your supervisor immediately so they can cover your shift or make necessary arrangements. For example, if you know you have a big test coming up and you’ll need time to study, make sure you ask for time off in advance so you aren’t studying last minute. Remember, your school work is your top priority while you are here.

***NOTE: A student may NOT work during their scheduled class time.

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal

A student may not work after date of “separation” which is determined by the Academic Affairs Office when LOA/Medical LOA/WD forms are completed.


A student employee may not be supervised by their parent or legal guardian. They may also not authorize any hours worked by the student.

Contact Information

If you have any questions/concerns regarding your Federal Work Study or Award Amount, please contact the Student Financial Services Office

Student Financial Services

Second Floor

Peggy R. Williams Center

Phone: 607-274-3131

Office Hours:

Monday – Friday: 8:30AM to 5PM

If you have any questions/concerns about your job, please contact the Student Employment Office:

Student Employment

Garden Level

Peggy R. Williams Center

Phone: 607-274-8000

Office Hours:

Monday – Friday: 8:00AM to 4:30PM