Transfer Students

Transfer and AP/IB Credits


Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IP) Scores

  • Ensure scores are sent to the Office of the Registrar at Ithaca College for evaluation and posting to your Ithaca College transcript.
  • To determine how AP/IB credits will transfer to Ithaca College refer to the charts in the Student Information section of the Catalog.
    • Students are required to follow the AP/IB transfer equivalencies for the Catalog year in which they first matriculate; Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 students will follow the 2015-2016 Catalog requirements.
  • The only AP credits allowed to count toward a student’s Integrative Core Curriculum (ICC) requirements are English Language & Composition OR English Literature & Composition with a score of 4 or 5; and, AP/IB credit equivalencies to attribute courses (QL, DV, WI).
  • You should review your academic transcript when the fall semester starts to ensure that AP/IB course work transferred.
    • If AP/IB course work does not appear on your transcript, you should check the Catalog requirements for AP/IB course work to confirm you earned the required score on the exam. If you received the necessary score and the credits do not appear on your academic transcript, you should contact the Office of the Registrar to confirm receipt of the score(s) from the College Board.
    • It is important for students and advisers to check academic transcripts early to avoid an issue with duplicate credits. That is, you cannot earn credit for the same course twice: i.e., if you transfer credit for PSYC 10300, you cannot take PSYC 10300 at Ithaca College unless you email ( the Office of the Registrar to forfeit your earned transfer credit.

Transfer Credits

  • Ensure official transcripts are sent to the Office of Registrar for evaluation and posting to the Ithaca College transcript.
  • Courses that have been evaluated will appear on the unofficial transcript with the equivalent Ithaca College course number (course specific) or generic transfer credit.
  • Courses that are evaluated as x8888 are not course specific. The x8888 number is used for generic rather than course specific transfer credits.
  • Courses taken prior to matriculation at Ithaca College do not require the completion of a Petition to Transfer Credit form. If you receive generic course credit, you should see the department chair to have the course(s) reevaluated for course specific credit. If the department chair determines the course should have Ithaca College course specific designation, than s/he will need to send a memo to the Office of the Registrar indicating the change.
  • If you receive course specific credit for AP, IB, or transfer course work (e.g., HIST 10100, not HIST 18888) you cannot receive credit for the same course twice by retaking it at Ithaca College; see duplicate credit policy.
  • If you wish to take a course at Ithaca College for which you have already received credit for AP, IB, or transfer course work you must notify the Office of the Registrar ( that you wish to forfeit your credit for the AP, IB, or transfer course work.
  • For first-year students, transfer credits cannot be applied toward the themes and perspectives, complementary liberal arts, and capstone components of the Integrative Core Curriculum.  For students who enter Ithaca College as transfer students, see /icc/transfers/ for specific information related to your transfer credits and the Integrative Core Curriculum.

Current semester coursework may not be listed on your Ithaca College academic transcript; please make sure you have had final transcripts and/or AP/IB scores sent to the Office of the Registrar.  To ensure accurate preregistration in for Summer Orientation, please complete the  Transfer Student Advising and Preregistration Questionnaire.  If current semester transfer coursework and/or AP/IB credits are not listed on your unofficial Ithaca College transcript by the time you attend Orientation, you will need to communicate with your adviser any courses/credits that are pending transfer to Ithaca College.

NOTE: AP/IB scores must be sent directly to the Office of the Registrar at Ithaca College.  We cannot evaluate these scores from another college's official transcript.  Scores must be received directly by Ithaca College's Office of the Registrar and they must be sent by the College Board.



School of Humanities and Sciences  ·  201 Muller Center  ·  Ithaca College  ·  Ithaca, NY 14850  ·  (607) 274-3102  ·  Full Directory Listing