What's going on? Check here frequently. Biochemistry Majors -- apply for some student awards!!! Mentor in the Ithaca Schools Elementary Science Olympiad
Friday, February 6, 2015
Student awards that are now available to apply for: https://www.ithaca.edu/hs/students/scholarships/department/
March 1: FAFSA deadline
March 13: Scholarship application deadline
April 1: Scholarship nominations due
May: Scholarship award notification
Larry Metzger, M.S. '87, Memorial Scholarship
Previous award amount: $1,300
Awarded to rising junior or senior majoring in biology, biochemistry, or chemistry with demonstrated significant financial need. The recipient must also have a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.2 and intend to pursue an advanced degree in science other than a medical degree. Established by Ithaca College in conjunction with donations from Larry's family, colleagues, and friends to honor and remember his many contributions and great dedication to the College community for over 30 years.
Jason Dickens Book Fund
Previous award amount: $225
Awarded to a rising senior majoring in biology or biochemistry. Established in memory of Jason Dickens, Biology '99.
George A. Gonzalez-Gallardo '79 Scholarship
Previous award amount: $1,400
Awarded to an outstanding junior biology or biochemistry major with the top GPA and eligible for financial aid. Students are recommended by the faculty of the Department of Biology. Established in memory of George A. Gonzalez-Gallardo, Biology ‘79.
Friday, February 6, 2015
*** Great resume building and community service activity!!!***
Our local South Hill Elementary School is looking for mentors for their 4th & 5th grade science Olympiad teams. The elementary science olympiad is a series of fun games and events which help youngsters explore science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Students will be practicing with their IC mentors on Mondays in March and April. A culminating midday Olympiad will occur on April 16th.
What is the elementary science Olympiad?
- Weekly practice at fun activities like paper airplane flying and spaghetti bridges - YouTube examples
- The culminating event is a combination relay race and tables of activities - YouTube examples
What do I need to do?
- Show up. Preference will be given to students which can do multiple days, but just one is great!
- Your job will be to play the games and help direct the students during the activity
When is it?
- Mondays, March 2, 9, 16, 23, April 6 and 13 from 1:50-3:10pm. A culminating Saturday event at Boynton Middle School is 4/18, time TBD (~midday for a couple hours)
How do I sign up?
- Please volunteer by filling out the form SignUp HERE - http://goo.gl/forms/bK3Zj5Wo1F
- We are looking to recruit about 4 IC students for each day...