Summer Research Projects
- Mechanisms and pathways of cholesterol transport inside cells
- Effect of the cholesterol environment on protein function and its relation to diseases: NPC1 and processing of Amyloid Precursor Protein
- Lab activities for high school biology classes
- Host pathogen interactions following chlamydia infection
- Cell biology of parachlamydia infection in fresh water amoeba
- Using a genome-wide microarray-based approach, identify and characterize novel genes regulated by splicing coupled to mRNA decay
- Identify conserved cis-regulatory sequences important for changes in splicing
- Examine the role of kinases in gene regulation
- Study the effects of co-transcriptional recruitment of regulatory factors on gene control
- Evolution of Nematode Dosage Compensation Mechanisms
- Effect of recreation trails on wildlife movement
- Remote camera traps to examine urbanization effects on personality in wild canids
- Measuring the freezing and drought tolerance of grasses in the Pooidae
- Testing the competitive exclusion hypothesis using ecophysiological approaches on two tropical coastal congener species as a model system.
- Adaptation to UV radiation exposure in the freshwater crustacean Daphnia (water flea), including:
- DNA repair kinetics
- Protection from DNA damage by melanin pigmentation
- Gene expression in response to UV radiation exposure
- Fieldwork collecting Daphnia from local ponds during spring
& early summer
- Biochemical identification and characterization of the essential components of a unique biological glue.
- Biochemical and mechanical experiments to characterize the mechanism of adhesion and to test hypotheses of how the glue components contribute to performance
Collaborative research on Puerto Rican plants
Phylogenetic Reconstruction of plants belonging to the Genus Gurania (Cucurbitaceae)
- Analyze the genetic and neuronal basis of arousal and anxiety behaviors in larval zebrafish.
- Clone a gene expressed in somatosensory neurons. Inject mRNA encoding the gene to assess its effects on somatosensory development.
- Generate transgenic fish that inducibly overexpress a gene. Analyze the effects on neural development or behavior.
- Generate transgenic fish that express a reporter gene (eg GFP) in a specific neuronal cell type. Via live imaging, examine the dynamics of this cell type as it develops and connects with the rest of the nervous system.
- Analyze the phenotype of a mutation in a gene expressed in somatosensory neurons.
|Download Summer Research Projects
Microsoft Word Document - Size: 17 kB