Summer Research Projects
Download the registration form here.
- Mechanisms and pathways of cholesterol transport inside cells
- Effect of the cholesterol environment on protein function and its relation to diseases: NPC1 and processing of Amyloid Precursor Protein
- Lab activities for high school biology classes
- Host pathogen interactions following chlamydia infection
- Cell biology ogy parachlamydia infection in fresh water amoeba
- Using a genome-wide microarray-based approach, identify and characterize novel genes regulated by splicing coupled to mRNA decay
- Identify conserved cis-regulatory sequences important for changes in splicing
- Examine the role of kinases in gene regulation
- Study the effects of co-transcriptional recruitment of regulatory factors on gene control
- Captive and wild behavior in chipmunks
- Relationship of social and movement behaviors in dwarf hamsters
- Animal surveys of South Hill
- Investigating plant xylem hydraulics and its impact on xylem sap pressure
- Biochemical identifications and characterization of the essential components of a unique biological glue
- Biochemical and mechanical experiments to characterize the mechanism of adhesion and to test hypotheses of how the glue components contribute to performance
- Histological analysis of the secretory cells that produce the glue
Bruce Smith Research in Canada
- Photopositive response of invertebrates: spectral sensitivities, use of behavioral traps for sampling aquatic communities
- Host / parasite interactions: population dynamics of parasitic mites infesting insect populations
- The evolutionary loss of larval parasitism in water mites
- Phylogenetic Reconstruction of plants belonging to the Genus Gurania (Cucurbitaceae)
- Clone a gene expressed in somatosensory neurons. Carefully document the spatial and temporal characteristics of its expression. Overexpress the gene product via mRNA injection to assess its effects on somatosensory development.
- Make a line of transgenic fish that inducibly overexpresses a gene. Analyze the effect of overexpression on development or behavior, especially with regard to somatosensation.
- Make a transgenic line that expresses a reporter gene (eg GFP) in a specific neuronal cell type. Via live imaging of transgenic animals, examine the dynamics of this cell type as it develops and connects with the rest of the nervous system.
- Analyze the phenotype of a mutation in a gene expressed in somatosensory neurons.
- Plan, develop, build, and test equipment and software necessary to measure and analyze anxiety behaviors in larval zebrafish.
|Download Summer Research Projects
Microsoft Word Document - Size: 194 kB