M.A.T. in English
The Department of English offers a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) program with a concentration in English. This intensive 13-month master's degree program prepares liberal arts graduates for initial teaching certification as teachers of English in grades 7-12.
Applicants to this graduate program are expected to have one of the following:
- An undergraduate or graduate degree in English
- or an undergraduate major in writing or journalism
- or 30-36 credits of undergraduate or graduate coursework in English, at least 21 credits of which must be in literature
The M.A.T. program includes these three graduate courses in English:
- ENGL 52000 Seminar in English Language Arts
- ENGL 53000 Seminar in World Literature
- ENGL 570 Seminar in American Literature
For additional information about the M.AT. program's admission requirements, application procedures, graduate assistantships, and curricular highlights, follow these two links: Department of Education, Graduate Programs main page and Division of Graduate Studies, Education main page.