For Current Students

Advising Information


How do I declare an Environmental Studies or Science major?
An appointment with the department chair, Jason Hamilton, is required in order to declare. This meeting is to determine whether or not your academic goals, strengths, desires, etc. are better suited to environmental studies or sciences. Do not submit a homerconnect request without first meeting with the chair as it will be automatically denied.

What set of requirements should I follow?
You can either follow the catalog requirements when you declared the major or adopt the new set of requirement. If you adopt the new requirements, you must let your adviser and the registrar’s office know.


How do my AP courses count into the major?

AP Environmental Science - does not count for any specific course, no matter what score you received.  This is because out curriculum is organized very differently and there is no good match.

AP Biology - if you received a 4 or 5 on the AP test and are an Environmental Studies major or minor, this can count as Principles of Biology II or Fundamentals of Biology II.  If you are an Environmental Science major, it does not count as any specific course.

How do I decide whether to take Fundamentals of Biology or Principles of Biology?
Previously the case was that if your interests were more related to human biology (e.g. applied health) you'd take Fundamentals of Biology and if your were more interested in biodiversity and/or plants, then you'd take Principles of Biology. However, that has since changed and the two courses have become very similar to the point that they are essentially equivalent to the other making it irrelevant which you choose to take. 

What courses are acceptable for electives for ES minors?
The Department Chair maintains a current list, which is also available on-line, in the advising section of the Environmental Studies Web Site,  see 
Minors Checklist and Courselist 



What are my options for a capstone experience?
You can take the designated capstone course, or propose an internship and independent study to the Department Chair.  Internships and independent studies must be at least 3 months long, and you must present your work in a public forum.

How does Senior Research work?
Beginning in 2012/13, there are a number of options for fulfilling the senior research requirement. ENVS will continue to offer ENVS 450-Senior Research, where teams of students will work together with different faculty members each semester. Other options now available are listed below. Please see the summary document for more information on the criteria under each option.

  • ENVS 301 and/or ENVS 402: Environmental Research
  • ENVS 495: Internship
  • ENVS concentration enhancement
School of Humanities and Sciences  ·  201 Muller Center  ·  Ithaca College  ·  Ithaca, NY 14850  ·  (607) 274-3102  ·  Full Directory Listing