Concentration in International Studies
A Concentration in International Studies within the Politics major allows students to focus their politics studies on issues and topics connected to global and international matters.
Structured similarly to the regular major, the concentration requires 6 credits beyond the regular major, for a total of 42. In addition to Politics courses, students must also take either the History course World Civ II, or the Anthropology course Cultural Anthropology. In addition, the Concentration's language requirement is 6 credits beyond the 202 level, or the equivalent.
At the introductory level, students take at least two internationally focused courses; at the 300 and 400 levels, students take at least six internationally focused courses.
Below is an outline of the requirements for the Concentration. For more information, please contact Peyi Soyinka-Airewele Chair of the Dept of Politics:
Concentration in International Studies in the Politics Major:
100 level requirements (15 credits)
- POLT 10100 US Politics (3 credits)
- POLT 14000 through POLT 14900 - Any one 100 level Political Theory Course (3 credits)
- POLT 12800 Intro to International Relations OR POLT 12900 Intro to Global Studies (3 credits)
- POLT 12200 Politics and Society OR POLT 12300 Political Justice (3 credits)
- HIST 18200 World Civ II OR ANTH 10400 Cultural Anthropology (3 credits)
300 level requirements (18 credits)
- POLT 30100 through POLT 32000 - US Politics - 1 course (3 credits)
- POLT 30600 US Foreign Policy - 1 course (3 credits)
- POLT 32100 through POLT 34099 - Comparative & International Studies - 3 courses* (9 credits)
(*please note, of the above three courses, one must be designated as a "Place" course)
- POLT 34100 through POLT 35000 - Political Theory - 1 course (3 credits)
400 level requirements (6 credits)
- POLT 40100 through 40199 - Seminar in Comparative & International Studies (3 credits)
- POLT 40100 through 40199 OR POLT 40300 through 40399 Tutorial in Comp/Int'l Studies OR POLT 40550 Internship - International OR POLT 49950 Directed Study - International (3 credits)
Other requirements (3 credits)
- Any other Politics course, at any level. If taken during Senior year, this requirement must be filled by a course at the 200 level or higher. (3 credits)
- Six credits beyond the intermediate level (20200), or the equivalent.
A grade of C or better is required to count towards the major.