Barney Beins, Brandy Bessette-Symons, Judith Pena-Shaff, Nancy Rader, Hugh Stephenson, Leigh Ann Vaughn, and 22 psychology students present research at professional conference in New York, NY
On March 2 and 3, 2013, 22 students representing from 6 research teams presented 11 posters about their research at the Annual Convention of the Eastern Psychological Association, in New York, NY.
The students were supported by a School of Humanities and Sciences Educational Initiative Grant of $4138. The research teams and their research were as follow (EPA attendees are in bold font):
Cognitive Development (Professor Nancy Rader): Joshua Leimer, Ted Alhanti, Briana Farringer, Stephanie Miller, Rebecca Post, Megan Long, Nadine Cohen, Glendenise McPherson, Yuberky Reyes, and Allegra Damari
- Infants' Attention to a Speaker's Mouth Relates to Mother's Level of Education
- Window to the Mind: Pupil Dilation Reveals Attention Processing in Early Word Learning
- The Effect of Speakers’ Gestures on Word Learning in Low-functioning ASD Children
Developmental and Educational Psychology (Professor Judith Pena Shaff): Brittany Raftis, Abigail Fink, Abigail Dixon, Ashley Braziel, Brendan Shaw
- Developing Cultural Competence Through Service Learning Courses
- Creating Economic Opportunity: an Evaluation of Financial Education Program Effectiveness – This poster received a 2nd place award for poster presentation.
Clinical and Mental Health Research (Professor Hugh Stephenson): Alex Moin and Sophia Terazawa
- Psychostimulant Use: Prescription, Recreational, and Patterns of Substance Abuse
Emotional and Physiological Influences in Cognition (Professor Brandy Bessette-Symons): Katie Straka, Jessica Blake, Mary Kate Fain, Kalie MacKenna, Tiffany DeRidder, Melanie Ziegler, Lauren Masser, Andrew Lemieszewski, and Emma Knighton
- The Influence of Emotion on Recognition Decision Processing Times
- The Influence of Arousal and Valence in Recognition Memory Performance
Humor (Professor Barney Beins): Natalie Mendes and Daniel Leibel
- The Tangled Web of Humor, Fear of Laughter, and Sexism
Social Judgment (Professor Leigh Ann Vaughn): Miranda Gehris, Jesse Held, Brittany Carey, Ashlyn Velte, Katrina Vega, Julian Bevan, and Eileen Grandel
- Regulatory Focus and Sensation Seeking
- How Global Versus Local Processing Affects Self-Compassion
Originally published in Intercom: Barney Beins, Brandy Bessette-Symons, Judith Pena-Shaff, Nancy Rader, Hugh Stephenson, Leigh Ann Vaughn, and 22 psychology students present research at professional conference in New York, NY.