Scene Shop Procedures for Student Supervisors
Scene shop hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Crew calls that are run outside these hours are considered special and may be run only with permission from the design/technical faculty. As a rule, special evening crews should run no later than 10:00 p.m., and no one is to remain in the building after 1:00 a.m. The only exception to this rule will be for faculty and staff supervised activities such as strikes for major productions. Special evening and weekend crews may be run only by a designated student supervisor who has been assigned keys for access to the shop. Any unauthorized person who is discovered working in the shop during off-hours will face disciplinary action.
Student supervisors, especially in the absence of a faculty or staff member, must be cognizant of the following standard procedures:
A. Appropriate Use of the Scene Shop
- The scene shop is to be used for scheduled Ithaca College Theatre Productions or classroom projects only. The shop is never to be used for commercial or non-college activities; work on personal projects will be allowed only by special permission and only when a faculty member is present.
- No fewer than two people, one of whom must be an approved supervisor, will be allowed to work in the shop at any time.
B. Basic Safety and Operational Guidelines
- It will be assumed that designated student supervisors, after receiving proper training, understand the safe operation of all tools and equipment that they must use. Supervisors are expected to use appropriate safety equipment such as tool guards, respirators, gloves, and ear and eye protection. If a student supervisor is unsure of any of these procedures, s/he must contact a faculty or staff member to receive the proper training to undertake the assigned tasks. Supervisors must never use or ask crew members to use equipment with which they are unfamiliar.
- Student supervisors should know the location and use of fire extinguishers, eye wash station, dust and fume protection devices, first aid kit, and all exits. The department technical director should be informed if any items in the first aid kit need to be replenished.
- Supervisors should remove from service any tool which is damaged or is not in safe working condition. Damaged or unsafe tools should be reported to the department technical director immediately.
- The scene shop and the theatres are no-smoking areas. Alcohol is not permitted in the building. Any student found to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be summarily dismissed from his/her position and possibly from the program.