2013 Writing Contest Rules
Categories for Submission
- First-Year Essay
- Nonfiction (including Argument & Personal Essay)
- Professional & Technical
- The Writing Contest is open to all students registered at Ithaca College, full or part time.
- Students may enter as many categories as they like, one entry per category.
- Any manuscript that has been a winning submission in the Writing Contest in a previous year is not eligible for this year’s contest.
- Manuscripts may be of any length, except for submissions in the poetry category, which must include 3-4 poems.
- The author’s name, address, phone number, and email, plus the category in which he/she is entering, must appear on the first page of the entry envelope. If in doubt about the category, please submit the entry and the judges will place it in the appropriate category.
- Email your submission to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 8, 2013. Late entries will not be considered. If submitting in more than one category, please send separate emails. Please identify the category in the subject line. (Note that hard copies will not be accepted this year.)
- The contest is sponsored and judged by the Department of Writing. The decisions of the judges are final. The judges may choose no winner for a particular category if they find no manuscript in their estimation that merits award. Winners will be announced May 1, 2013 on the Department of Writing website and will be contacted directly.
- Winners in each category will receive a prize and will be honored at the Handwerker Gallery on Thursday, May 9, 2013 at 6:00 pm. The winning entries will be published on the Department of Writing website. (Note that the winning entries will no longer be published in book form.)
- The winner of one Judge's Prize will be invited to participate in a Buffalo Street Books reading as part of the New Voices Festival.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.