Writing Contest Rules
Categories for Submission
- First-Year Essay
- Nonfiction (including Argument)
- Personal Essay
- Collaborative Professional Writing
- The Writing Contest is open to all students registered at Ithaca College, full or part time.
- Students may enter as many categories as they like, but may submit only one entry per category.
- Any manuscript that has been a winning submission in the Writing Contest in a previous year is not eligible for this year’s contest.
- Prose manuscripts may be of any length, but poetry submissions must include three poems.
- Email your submission to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, April 6, 2015. Late entries will not be considered.
- Please identify the category of your submission in the subject line; if submitting in more than one category, send separate emails.
- Include your name, address, phone number, and email, plus the appropriate category, in the text of the entry email. If in doubt about the category, please signify that doubt, and the judges will place your entry in the appropriate category.
- The contest is sponsored and judged by the Department of Writing. The decisions of the judges are final. The judges may choose no winner for a particular category if they find no manuscript that, in their estimation, merits award. Winning entries will be announced Thursday, April 23, 2015 on the Department of Writing website, and winners will also be contacted directly.
- Winners in each category will receive a prize and be honored by reading in the Handwerker Gallery. The winning entries will also be published on the Department of Writing website.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.