Writing Contest Rules
Categories for Submission
- First-Year Essay
- Nonfiction (including Argument)
- Personal Essay
- NEW Graphic Narrative or Text/Image
- The Writing Contest is open to all students registered at Ithaca College, full or part time.
- Students may enter as many categories as they like, but may submit only one entry per category.
- Any manuscript that has been a winning submission in the Writing Contest in a previous year is not eligible for this year’s contest.
- Prose manuscripts may be of any length, but poetry submissions must include three poems.
- Email your submission to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 28th, 2016. Late entries will not be considered.
- Your email subject line must read CATEGORY_LASTNAME (for example: POETRY_GONZALEZ) If submitting in more than one category, send separate emails. An error in submission form may mean that your entry will not be considered, so please double-check.
- Include your name, address, phone number, email address, and category in the body of your email.
- The entry itself must be attached as a single PDF, regardless of genre.
- The contest is sponsored and judged by the Department of Writing. The decisions of the judges are final. The judges may choose no winner for a particular category if they find no manuscript that, in their estimation, merits award.
- Winning entries will be announced Monday, April 18th, 2016 on the Department of Writing website, and winners will also be contacted directly.
- Winners in each category will be honored by a prize-giving and reading in the Handwerker Gallery. The winning entries will also be published on the Department of Writing website.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.