Becoming a Writing Tutor
POSITION DESCRIPTION FOR WRITING TUTORS
- Tutoring a wide range of students from across the college, approximately 10 hours a week, to help them strengthen all aspects of their writing.
- Working with international students for whom English is a second language.
- Visiting classes to promote use of the Writing Center.
- Solid academic standing and strong writing abilities, particularly in expository genres.
- Successful completion of Academic Writing I or II, Introduction to the Essay, or Ithaca Seminar in Writing; sophomore standing. Students need not be majors or minors, but additional writing courses beyond the 100-level, especially Argument, are preferred.
- Strong commitment to helping other students become more effective writers.
- Personal qualities conducive to one-on-one conferences, including a friendly, approachable manner; patience; good listening abilities; and a sense of maturity and responsibility.
Applications for Fall 2013 will be accepted starting Wednesday, March 20, and must be submitted by Friday, April 12 at 5:00 PM. Pick up an application in the Writing Center (Smiddy 107) or download it from Documents at your left. A completed application will include a detailed letter of intent, a résumé, and two expository writing samples, preferably with sources. Applications may be turned in at Smiddy 107 or emailed to Professor Joan Marcus at email@example.com. The strongest candidates will then be asked to complete a series of exercises and to schedule an interview.
For additional information, contact:
Joan Marcus, Smiddy 408, 274-3470, firstname.lastname@example.org