Becoming a Writing Tutor
POSITION DESCRIPTION FOR WRITING TUTORS
- Tutoring a wide range of students from across the college, approximately 10 hours a week, to help them strengthen all aspects of their writing.
- Working with international students for whom English is a second language.
- Visiting classes to promote use of the Writing Center.
- Solid academic standing and strong writing abilities, particularly in expository genres.
- Successful completion of Academic Writing I or II, Introduction to the Essay, or Ithaca Seminar in Writing; sophomore standing. Students need not be majors or minors, but additional writing courses beyond the 100-level, especially Argument, are preferred.
- Strong commitment to helping other students become more effective writers.
- Personal qualities conducive to one-on-one conferences, including a friendly, approachable manner; patience; good listening abilities; and a sense of maturity and responsibility.
The Writing Center has finished accepting applications for Spring 2015. More information will be posted when the hiring process begins for Fall 2015.
Pick up an application in the Writing Center (Smiddy 107) or download it from Documents at your left. A completed application will include a detailed letter of intent, a résumé, and two expository writing samples, preferably with sources. Applications may be turned in at Smiddy 107 or emailed to Professor Jim Stafford at email@example.com. The strongest candidates will then be asked to complete a series of exercises and to schedule an interview.
For additional information, contact:
Jim Stafford, Smiddy 413, 274-5145, firstname.lastname@example.org