The honors residential learning experience, begun in 1999, provides a unique space for the development of a true honors community. It is the perfect option for honors students who wish to live in a program-specific residential hall and offers participants many opportunities for enjoyment and enrichment. Stated goals of the honors residential learning community are:
- to develop a strong sense of academic community among the students participating in the honors housing program;
- to offer programs that integrate topics from students' coursework;
- to provide additional out-of-class opportunities for the students to interact with the honors faculty members;
- to provide a community living experience that is supportive of students' academic success and interests;
- to promote honors students' academic leadership.
The program is housed in Lyon Hall, and first-year students on the honors floor live with others who are facing the same transitions. They also have the advantage of meeting and interacting with veteran honors students who are familiar with the College and who can welcome them into the larger honors community.