NEWEST:Paid Job Opps; Premed Meeting 4/30; Dental Program and Info
Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Crouse Hospital Medical Scribes Program
Looking for a way to get medical experience? Looking for something to do during a gap year? Crouse Hospital in Syracuse is looking for people to work as medical scribes. This is a paid position (can be part time or full time) working in the Emergency Room.
Want more information? Jason Barber from PhysAssist Scribes, Inc. will be on campus THIS THURSDAY (April 25) from 12-1pm in CNS 115.
Tuesday, April 23, 2013
If you would like to run for one of the positions, please place your name on this googledoc.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
1. DDS Summer Program
Are you interested in a career in dentistry? Do you want hands on experience to see what dental school is like? Discover Dental School (DDS) is Stony Brook Dental School's week long summer program that gives you a taste of dental school. Over the week long program, you will be gaining invaluable experience that will help prepare you for dental school.
- Using a dental hand piece and instruments to complete cavity preparations
- Learn how to complete a thorough head and neck examination
- Take impressions
- Get acquainted with the dental clinic
- Designing CEREC CAD/CAM restorations
- Waxing teeth
- Mock admissions interview
- Become familiar with dental specialties through an interactive rotation
- Fun activities every night including bowling, movie night, Go-Karting and a farewell dinner
Additionally, Stony Brook faculty and current dental students will assist you and ensure that this will be an incredible learning opportunity.
If you are interested, please visit our website (http://dentistry.stonybrookmedicine.edu/dental/student/discover) for additional information and register today! Registration deadline is May 1.
2. ASDA Impressions Day
Are you interested in a career in Dentistry? Do you ever wonder what being a dental student entails? Want to learn more about the application process?
If you answered yes to any of these questions (or have any of your own), then you should come join us for Stony Brook Dental School's second annual ASDA Impressions Day!
This is a full day event filled with great activities such as...
- Q and A session with dental students from all four years
- Find out about scholarship opportunities through NAVY
- A chance to win a FREE Kaplan DAT prep course
- Lectures from Stony Brook Dental School's faculty members
- A chance to learn how to take and pour impressions that you will get to take home with you!
- Breakfast and lunch with dental students
For more information, including directions to Stony Brook Dental School and the application to sign up, go to...
... and click on the link to Impressions Day 2013!
Friday, December 14, 2012
The Joan Nicole Prince Home is a 2-bedroom comfort care home for terminally ill residents who are unable to remain in their own home. Volunteers serve as surrogate family members and provide direct hands-on bedside resident care. We currently have over a dozen students volunteering at the Joan Nicole Prince Home, but most will leave the area for the summer leaving the home in need of caregivers. Students volunteering at the home come from various institutions such as Union College, Ellis School of Nursing, Albany Medical College, Albany College of Pharmacy, SUNY Albany etc…, so it is a wonderful place to learn interprofessional education (IPE).
Our students have learned tremendous lessons about patient-centered care from their work at the home, and I would love to see more students experience the valuable lessons to be learned by caring for people at such a vulnerable time in their lives. During the summer, the home likes to train students that we know can volunteer for at least 4-8 hrs/week. The home must have coverage from 7:00 am until 11 pm at night, so there is a lot of flexibility in shift coverage for students who will be working full time in other jobs. Students should contact the home directly at www.joannicoleprincehome.org
Ideally students could train over their winter break so that they could volunteer at the home over the summer.
There are 22 of these comfort care homes in New York: http://www.compassionandsupport.org/index.php/for_patients_families/hospice/homes_for_the_dying
Friday, October 26, 2012
The Academic Associate Program with the Emergency Medicine Service Line of the North Shore-LIJ Health System in Manhasset, NY search for a one-year, full-time, paid position in our department starting in June 2013.
"We are currently recruiting premedical students either in their senior year or recently graduated and are taking at least one year off prior to attending medical or graduate school. Academic Associates receive full benefits, a competitive stipend, and work closely with experienced researchers and faculty in the emergency department.
An Academic Associate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Aiding with developing new study protocols, IRB submissions, grant proposals, and a wide array of professional scholarly activities
- Overseeing the daily goings on of multiple research studies such as chart reviews, survey administration, data collection, data entry, patient identification and literature searches.
- Developing studies’ presentations and writing abstract submissions and manuscripts – for which they are frequently coauthors
- Serving on important departmental committees such as the Department of Emergency Medicine Research Committee
- Facilitating the coordination of special activities such as departmental symposia and Continuing Medical Education (CME) conferences
- Recruiting, training and managing a team of twelve to twenty-five volunteer research interns throughout the fall and spring semester, and close to sixty volunteer research interns during the summer, and
- Organizing educational activities for the research interns
Proficiency with software applications such as Microsoft Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Word is highly recommended among applicants. Strong ambition, motivation, the ability to multitask, as well as interpersonal and leadership skills are absolutely necessary for these positions.
If you would like to further explore this opportunity, please feel free to visit our website at http://nsuhed.com/academic-associates-programs.html. We are currently accepting applications for the 2012-13 academic year and urge interested students to submit their cover letter, résumé, list of references, and unofficial transcript as soon as possible."