HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Daniel T. Flanick|
|Dean's Award for Exercise and Sport Sciences|
It took me a few tries to find myself at Ithaca College as an Exercise Science major. Out of high school, I went to Molloy College on a baseball scholarship to study Adolescent Math Education. However, after one year I decided math was not for me. From Molloy, I transferred to a community college in my hometown for a semester where I finally decided to apply to Ithaca in pursuit of an Exercise Science degree. The faculty here has provided me with the basic knowledge and skills to pursue my career goal to be a strength and conditioning coach. Upon graduation, I will attend Baylor University in pursuit of a Master’s of Education in Sport Pedagogy.
Although I have had many amazing experiences at Ithaca College, the privilege to volunteer as an assistant strength coach with the women’s swimming and diving team stands out most. It gave me a small insight in the field of strength and conditioning, which fostered my love for it even more and provided me with direction and a career goal. Working with the women on the team was an amazing experience that helped me realize my passion and identify goals.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Alpha Eta Society
- 4.0 GPA
- Represented Exercise Science in ACSM Mid-Atlantic Regional Conference
- Assistant Strength Coach for Women’s Varsity Swimming
- Co-President of Exercise Science Club
- Presentation at Whalen Symposium on correlation between physical activity and amount of sexual partners among college aged students
- Lead Researcher in a study on “A Comparison of Maximum Push-up Test Results Under Three Separate Situations”
- Ithaca College Exercise and Sport Sciences Professional Excellence Award
- Summa cum laude
The Dean’s Award is given to the graduating seniors in each HSHP Department who have attained the highest academic achievement over the past four years. These students are the academic leaders and scholars of their departments.