HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|William C. Way|
|Excellence in Graduate Study Award in Exercise and Sport Sciences|
Perhaps a product of my dad’s physical education background, I have always been happiest when active. By high school (Cheltenham, Pennsylvania), I had developed a passion for fitness and sports. What initially drew me to Ithaca College was the breadth of their exercise and sport sciences program; what’s kept me here has been the engaging learning environment and supportive faculty. My experiences here have fused classroom material with real world application, in both my own athletic endeavors and the endeavors of others.
Utilizing the last of my NCAA eligibility as a first year graduate student offered a unique studentathlete experience. I was my own athletic case-study. In the classroom I learned about the psychological principles associated with peak performance, but as I found myself climbing into regional and national levels of competition I was able to truly experience the difference those mental skills make when the pressure is at its highest. My experiential learning has only continued since then. I have had the opportunity to work with youth, high school, and collegiate athletes, helping them explore and expand the mental skills they draw upon in their performance. Ultimately, Ithaca College has challenged me not just to learn, but further, to apply.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- B.S. Exercise and Sport Sciences, Magna cum laude (‘10)
- Oracle, Phi Kappa Phi, and Alpha Eta honor societies
- USTFCCCA All-Academic track and field team
- Biomechanics teaching assistant
- Internship as a mental skills coach at Ithaca High School
- Assistant Coach, Cross Country / Track and Field at Ithaca High School
- Authored an article published online through the Ithaca Journal
- Three-time presenter at AASP (Association of Applied Sport Psychology) National Conferences
- AASP Student Delegate and chair of the Internship & Practicum Database student initiative
- Division III Cross Country All-American, two school track and field records (indoor 3k, outdoor 5k)
The Excellence in Graduate Study Award is given to a single student within the Graduate Program in Exercise and Sport Sciences who, through academic and professional activities, embody the professional and educational aspirations implicit in the major.