HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Professional Excellence Award in Graduate Study in Health Promotion and Physical Education|
I am an international student from a beautiful country, Nepal. Health and education has always been my field of interest. With an objective of serving the community and exploring my field of interest, I pursued a Bachelor of Science in Nursing from Kathmandu University in 2010. During four years of intensive education and training, I learned various factors related to health. I realized health is a dynamic state affected by socio-economic status, education level, age of the people, and so on. Among those, I realized that getting proper health education is one of the most important factors that impacts significantly on the well being of the public. Community visits and clinical experiences as a student nurse, managerial responsibilities, and teaching opportunities after graduation made me more inclined toward health education. Apart from studies and work, I served as a volunteer in various health events in Nepal as well as in the United States.
I enrolled in the Master’s of Science in Health Education program at Ithaca College to pursue a health education degree that will train me to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate health programs at the community level. As a graduate student, I always wanted to give my best and gain as much as possible. Studying at Ithaca College was definitely a valuable decision, and I would like to thank the excellent faculty for their help and support.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Graduate Assistant at Ithaca College, 2013-2014
- Oral presentation, Master’s Level Graduate Research Conference, 2014
- Whalen Symposium, Award Finalist for poster presentation, 2014
- Nursing coordinator, Lumbini Medical College and Research Center, 2012
- Clinical in-charge and nursing instructor at Lumbini Medical College and Research Center, 2011-2012
- Specialization course in oncology nursing, B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital, 2010
- Multi-disciplinary cancer management course, 2010
- Poster presentation on National Symposium in Psychiatry, 2010
The Graduate Professional Excellence Award is awarded to the graduate student who embodies the long tradition of knowledge and achievement within the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education.