HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Madeline L. Arena|
|Graduate Professional Excellence Award in Physical Therapy|
I am a physical therapy major from Shelton, Connecticut, and growing up, sports were a major part of my life. I never thought that dislocating my shoulder during a basketball game my sophomore year of high school would help me determine what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. What started out as excruciating pain ended in the belief that I could become a physical therapist. The Ithaca College physical therapy program initially sparked my interest due to its prestigious reputation, and during my first visit, I knew Ithaca was the perfect match for me.
My most memorable experiences have occurred while working as a student physical therapist on my first and second clinical affiliations. Through these opportunities, I have been able to use the knowledge and clinical skills that I learned in the classroom and apply them to real patients. It is extremely rewarding to watch a patient drastically improve and realize that I made a difference in their life. As a future clinician, if I am able to help my patients improve while keeping them motivated and having fun, I will be one of the luckiest people in the world.
Academic achievements and personal highlights
- Freshman Events Coordinator, Ithaca College Student Physical Therapy Club
- The Michael A. Pagliarulo Service Award Recipient
- Clinical Affiliations with Central Pennsylvania Rehabilitation Services and Genesis Healthcare
- James J. Whalen Academic Symposium 2013 presenter “Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: Common Presenting Factors”
- Member of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Ithaca College’s Leadership Weekend Participant
- Participated in Colleges Against Cancer’s Relay for Life
- Participated in the Bomber Blitz 5K Run/Walk
The Graduate Professional Excellence Award is given to graduate students whose work and leadership during their academic coursework points to a promising career in the field of Physical Therapy.