HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Stacey M. Ulrich|
|Emily F. Powell Award Outstanding Graduate Clinician|
I completed my Bachelor of Science undergraduate degree in speech and language disabilities at SUNY Cortland. As I was applying for graduate programs, I never thought I would end up at my “rival” school. However, after being accepted into the master’s degree program of speech-language pathology and touring the Ithaca campus and Ewing clinic, I quickly realized this program was the perfect fit for me. I first fell in love with speech-language pathology when I was a child. I remember participating in a family member’s session playing games and thinking: “This is the most fun job!” Little did I know, my passion would continue to grow as I learned more about the field and gained more clinical experience.
My most memorable clinical experience was with Tina Caswell and the Strides Program. I had the privilege to work with children with autism and provide augmentative and alternative communication services while they rode horses. I loved how the program combined social communication with a memorable experience for the children to share. This experience expanded my clinical abilities and my desire to work with children and AAC devices in various settings.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- Emily F. Powell Award for Outstanding Graduate Clinician
- Pi Lambda Theta Honor Society
- Alpha Eta Honor Society
- Member of the National Student Speech-Language Hearing Association
- Student Coach of Ithaca Women’s Club Volleyball Team
- Traveled to the American Speech-Language Hearing Association’s Convention in Chicago, Illinois
- Student Clinician at Alexander Ewing Clinic, Beverly J. Martin, Longview, and Strides Program
- Externship at Erie 1 Boces in Buffalo
- Externship at Women and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo
The Emily F. Powell Award is awarded to a graduate student in Speech-Language Pathology who has demonstrated excellent clinical abilities and contributions to the profession.