HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Carin L. Pracht|
|Professional Excellence Award in Health Care Management|
Growing up in the small town of Gowanda, New York, Carin was able to see just how important healthcare delivery is to a community. Her passion to become a Health Care Administrator stemmed from personal experiences interacting with the healthcare system. Her uncle, Mike, was a struggling alcoholic who needed to utilize the system on numerous occasions. She watched as he was treated as a less deserving individual and decided that she needed to make a positive impact on this industry to help others. Mike passed away on September 1, 2010 and has served as her motivation and inspiration to pursue this career ever since.
Among her most memorable experiences at Ithaca College, Carin enjoyed serving as President of the Ithaca College Association of Health Care Professionals. Under the mentorship of Professor Karen Edwards, Carin was able to plan networking trips to Rochester, Binghamton, and New York City. Members of this organization were given an opportunity, in an out of the classroom experience, to network with alumni and discover how the implementation of the Affordable Care Act is affecting organizations. Her involvement in this club helped develop leadership skills that will lead to a successful career.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- President, Ithaca College Association of Health Care Professionals
- Peggy R. Williams Award for Academic and Community Leadership
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence
- Oracle and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies
- Chairperson, School of Health Sciences and Human Performance Student Board of Advocates
- Dean’s List
- Leadership Scholar
- L. Hill & A. Newens, Charles A. Frueauff Foundation, Arkell Hall Foundation, & Student Government Association Scholarships
- Studied in New York City with ICNYC
- Internships at Univera Healthcare, Erie County Medical Center, and Lake Erie Regional Health System
The Professional Excellence Award is given to students who embody the long tradition of knowledge and achievement within the Department of Health Promotion and Physical Education.