HSHP Annual Awards 2014
The School of Health Sciences and Human Performance honored students for their outstanding academic and professional achievement this year during a ceremony and reception held May 14. To learn more about this year's award winners, click on their pictures below.
|Danielle L. Trias|
|Professional Excellence Award in Clinical Health Studies/Physical Therapy|
The oldest child in a family of five, Danielle grew up in North Wales, Pennsylvania. At a young age, she knew her future would involve helping people improve their quality of life. A seventh grade career research project matched Danielle with physical therapy, the perfect fit for her desire to interact with people in a hands-on way. Early in college, Danielle developed an interest in spinal cord injury rehabilitation, further fueled by her mother needing invasive surgery to remove a tumor inside her spinal cord. Danielle’s ultimate goal is to help patients who initially cannot walk – or have significant limitations due to an injury – eventually walk independently out the door at the end of their rehabilitation.
During her semester abroad, Danielle, a life-long baseball fan, took the Sports in the UK course and had the opportunity to volunteer for MLB’s European Big League Tour. The event aimed to increase interest in baseball in European countries through clinics with professional players for the local youth. Danielle got to meet Chris Dickerson, Jeremy Guthrie, Rick Vandenhurk, and Roger Bernadina. Her conversations with them furthered her passion for the physical therapy profession, as she learned MLB players are huge fans of PTs, too.
Academic Achievements and Personal Highlights
- President, Ithaca College Physical Therapy Club 2013-2014; Sophomore Class Representative 2011-2012
- Vice President, Culinary Arts Club 2013-2014
- Accepted into Oracle Honor Society, Phi Kappa Phi Society, and Alpha Eta Society
- Study Abroad – Ithaca College London Center Fall 2012
- Major League Baseball’s European Big League Tour Volunteer
- Organized Bomber Blitz 5k – raised over $500 for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation October 2013
- Attended APTA Federal Advocacy Forum in Washington, DC Spring 2014
- Captain of ICPT Club team for Relay for Life and ran “rub down” table – raised over $1,500 Spring 2014
- Mobility Training Lab Assistant Spring 2014
- Assisted with organizing first Ithaca PT Pub Night April 2014
The Professional Excellence Award is given in recognition of undergraduate student(s) who exhibit excellence in one or more of the following areas: leadership, clinical practice, service, professionalism, academics, or scholarship.