Exercise tips for the summer
Is it too nice out to stay inside and work out? Use these tips to get a full body workout!
- It’s easy to get in the routine of running the same loop day after day. Try a new loop using a smart phone app, run in a new direction for half the time, then turn around. You can also run at a local park or trail near home.
- Body-weight exercises are a great resistance workout and don’t require any equipment. They can attack multiple muscle groups in one exercise and, done in a quick succession, can keep heart rate high (just remember proper form!).
- At home with the kids? Go to any store and pick up a couple of jump ropes. Having a competition can be fun and in 8-10 minutes you can burn the same number of calories as jogging a mile!
- Don’t forget to be creative. Don’t have a bench for dips or rows? Use a bed or chair! Used to using dumbbells for your resistance training? Try different sized water bottles (filled with water or sand) or even a sand castle bucket!
Here’s a 30-minute workout you can do anywhere––at home, the beach, even poolside!
- 5 minute dynamic warm up o High knees, butt kicks, gates, walk on your toes then heels, and lunges
- 10 minutes of cardio
- Run, bike, swim in the ocean or pool, jump rope, or briskly walk 10 minutes of resistance 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off (allow a 30 second break after each set)
- Set 1: Burpees, lunges, bicycle
- Set 2: Vertical Jump, glute bridge, toe touches
- Set 3: Bear Walk, tricep push-up, superman
- Set 4: Crab Walk, push-up, Russian twist
- Set 5: Heisman with shuffle, mountain climber, up-down plank • 5 minutes of static stretching
- Check with one of the fitness specialists in the Clinic if you have questions about the above workout or to help plan your summer workouts!