Two Levels of Fieldwork
Level I fieldwork experiences are incorporated into academic courses: Pediatric Evaluation and Intervention Processes in OT, Adult Evaluation and Intervention Processes in OT, and Individual and Group Work in Health Sciences.
The pediatric and adult level I fieldworks are a one-week, full-time commitment. There are options for sites in the Ithaca area or other locations throughout the US. It is often possible with advanced planning for the student to complete this experience close to home.
- Pediatric: This fieldwork experience is performed during the spring semester of the senior year.
- Adult: This fieldwork experience is performed the week following fall break of the senior year.
- Geriatric: This fieldwork experience is performed during the fall semester of the graduate year. The students will establish a relationship with a person 65 years old or older in a local setting. There are also additional short term experiences incorporated into the academic work.
Level II fieldwork occurs following the prerequisite academic courses and must be completed successfully to qualify to take the certification examination for occupational therapists administered by the NBCOT (National Board for the Certification of Occupational Therapists). At completion of level II, students should be functioning as an entry-level therapist at that site.
Three experiences totaling eight months will be completed. The pediatric/adolescent and adult/geriatric fieldwork experiences are 6 credits each. The specialty/elective fieldwork is 4 credits. Level II fieldwork is part of the graduate year of the occupational therapy education at Ithaca College. Fieldwork is arranged by the academic fieldwork coordinator at sites throughout the United States and there are a few sites in other countries as well.
- Pediatric/adolescent: This fieldwork is a three month experience with a pediatric or adolescent population. Possible sites include hospitals, schools, private practices, and specialized clinics.
- Adult/geriatric: This fieldwork is a three month experience with an adult or geriatric population. Possible sites include hospitals, nursing facilities, outpatient clinics, home care settings, and others.
- The pediatric/adolescent and adult/geriatric fieldwork may be done in any order. Typically, one will take place in the summer following the senior year (June, July, August) and the other in the spring of the graduate year (April, May, June).
- Specialty/elective: This fieldwork is a two month experience in a specialty/elective setting. This fieldwork typically takes place in the summer of the graduate year but may take place later. This fieldwork is meant to round out the student's fieldwork experience, offer more specialized training, or provide an opportunity in a non-traditional occupational therapy setting.