Outdoor Adventure Leadership
General Information for Outdoor Adventure Leadership Students
Outdoor Adventure Leadership students who wish to complete a Fieldwork or Internship experience need to:
- Download and read the Internship & Advanced Fieldwork Manual for RM and OAL majors.
- Download the Application for Internship or Advanced Fieldwork Form and the GPA Calculator Spreadsheet. Follow the procedures for filling out the form as stated in the guidelines. This form then needs to be submitted to the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- Once approved you will receive an e-mail requesting that you set up a meeting with the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- In consultation with your academic adviser and the RLS Internship Coordinator, begin researching potential sites.
- Once a site has been identified and approved by the RLS Internship Coordinator, download the RM/OAL Agency Acceptance Form, fill in the necessary information (see directions), and then send the form to the site supervisor to complete.
- Once the RLS Internship Coordinator has received the Site Acceptance Form from the site, you will need to complete the RM/OAL Student Placement Form. Note that ALL information on this form (except for the signatures) must be typed.
- Upon confirmation of your placement, complete the Internship Requirements Checklist based on your start and end dates, and submit it to the Internship Coordinator
- By the end of the first week you are actually on site, complete the Student Information Form and return it to your Faculty Supervisor.
- Submit to the Faculty Supervisor both a Midterm Evaluation Form and a Final Evaluation Form, completed by your agency supervisor with comments provided by you, at the appropriate mid-point and end of your internship.
If you have any questions about the procedures and/or forms, please contact the RLS Internship Coordinator.
The following courses are offered for Outdoor Adventure Leadership Majors. You will need to indicate which course you will be registering for on the Student Placement Form.
- Completion of RLS 34800
- Permission of department chair
Internship in Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00
- Minimum GPA of 2.50 in RLS-xxxxx courses
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 in RLS-24800 and RLS-34800
- Completion of at least 24 credits of required recreation courses (RLS-xxxxx) and 6 credits of recreation electives
- Approval of department chair
Dr. Linda Heyne, CTRS
Office: Smiddy 313
RLS Administrative Assistant
Office: Smiddy 321