General Information for Recreation Management Students
Recreation Management students who wish to complete a Fieldwork or Internship experience need to:
- Download and read the Internship Manual found in the Internship / Advanced Fieldwork Manual for RM & OAL majors.
- Download the Application for Internship or Advanced Fieldwork Form and the GPA Calculator Spreadsheet. Follow the procedures for filling out the form as stated in the guidelines. This form then needs to be submitted to the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- Once approved you will receive an e-mail requesting that you set up a meeting with the RLS Internship Coordinator.
- In consultation with your academic adviser and the RLS Internship Coordinator, begin researching potential sites.
- Once a site has been identified and approved by the RLS Internship Coordinator, download the RM/OAL Agency Acceptance Form, fill in the necessary information (see directions), and then send the form to the site supervisor to complete.
- Once the RLS Internship Coordinator has received the Site Acceptance Form from the site, you will need to complete the RM/OAL Student Placement Form. Note that ALL information on this form (except for the signatures) must be typed.
- During the first week that you are actually on site, you need to fill out the Student Information Form. You must return this to the RLS Internship Coordinator no later than the 2nd week of the internship.
- You must submit both a Midterm Evaluation Form and a Final Evaluation Form, completed by your agency supervisor with comments provided by you, at the appropriate mid-point and end of your internship.
If you have any questions about the procedures and/or forms, please contact the RLS Internship Coordinator.
The following courses are offered for Recreation Management Majors. You will need to indicate which course you will be registering for on the Student Placement Form.
- Completion of RLS 34800
- Permission of department chair
Internship in Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00
- Minimum GPA of 2.50 in RLS-xxxxx courses
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 in RLS-24800 and RLS-34800
- Completion of at least 24 credits of required recreation courses (RLS-xxxxx) and 6 credits of recreation electives
- Approval of department chair
RLS Administrative Assistant
Office: 321 Smiddy Hall