Power and Justice
How are they related and how can they be balanced?
Power plays a pivotal role in the attainment of justice. What is fair or just is very often decided by those who hold the power in the world. In some cases of perceived injustice, the powerful are challenged and possession of power can shift. In the power and justice theme, you will examine power structures, conflict and resolution, and issues of social and political justice.
You will be asked to examine the world as you know it and imagine alternative scenarios where the balance of power has shifted to those who were without it:
- How have power and justice been theorized, described, and explained within different disciplines?
- How is power generated, distributed, transformed, and mobilized, be it physically, culturally, or psychologically?
- How do sexualities, class, race, ethnicity, and sustainability affect and reflect structures of power and notions of justice?
- How does a historical understanding of power struggles help us understand contemporary conflicts?
- How are struggles over energy production and environmental justice tied to structures of power?