Workshop to Focus on Front Desk Security
Contributed by Deborah Merriman
A workshop titled, "Security Essentials for Front Desk Professionals," will be offered on Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at the Holiday Inn (222 S. Cayuga Street) in Ithaca. The schedule for the workshop is:
Registration check-in: 8:30 a.m. -- 9:00 a.m.
Program: 9:00 a.m. -- 4:00 p.m.
As a dedicated front desk professional, you juggle many tough responsibilities. One of the most important is to serve as "lookout" for anything that might threaten the safety and security of employees and guests.
You are the organization's eyes and ears and often its first line of defense against potentially dangerous situations. It is imperative that you possess the knowledge and skills you need to protect your company's front line -- and yourself. In attending this crucial and very timely workshop, you will learn:
If you are interested in attending this program, please contact by e-mail or phone Mary Tomaselli at 4-1239 or Tanisha Graves at 4-3083.
- How to spot -- and eliminate -- holes in security in your reception area
- Emergency response procedures you should know backward and forward
- Tips for exuding a take-charge, no-nonsense attitude while still remaining friendly and helpful
- What to look for: "red-flag" behaviors that immediately clue you in that someone intends theft, property damage, or other illegal activity
- Proven strategies for defusing angry or upset visitors or co-workers before the situation escalates
- Tactics would-be thieves or intruders may use to distract and slip past you -- and how to thwart them
- Tips for recognizing an individual who may be emotionally unbalanced or capable of violence
Contributed by Mary Tomaselli