Every year thousands of smokers make the commitment to quit smoking for one day for the Great American Smokeout which will be observed on November 18th this year.
If you smoke, consider quitting for the day. If you don't smoke, but have a friend or family member who smokes, pick up an "Adopt a Smoker" contract and additional information about quitting in the health promotion resource room (lower level, Hammond Health Center).
Quit Kits will be available in the Campus Center lobby on Tuesday, November 16, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Call the New York State Smokers' Quitline for more information: 1-866-NYQUITS (1-866-697-8487)
Tips for quitting
Getting ready for quit day:
- Pick the date and mark it on your calendar.
- Tell friends and family the date you have chosen.
- Stock up on sugarless gum, carrot sticks, and hard candy.
- Set up a support system.
Getting through the quit day:
- Get rid of all cigarettes, lighters, and ashtrays.
- Stay active -- try walking, exercising, or doing other activities.
- Drink lots of water and juice.
- Reward yourself.
Contributed by Priscilla Quirk