This was erroneously announced for Wednesday; the correct day is Thursday, August 4.
Every blood donation is essential, and many donors are unaware of the constant need to replenish the blood supply. Please help our blood drive by donating on August 4 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm in Emerson Suites.
The New York-Penn region of the American Red Cross distributes nearly 2,000 units of blood every day to a total of 127 area hospitals. As a volunteer blood donor you play a critical role in helping us meet the need. Patient usage of blood has outpaced actual blood donations. We are facing a shortage because every two seconds someone in the Southern Tier is in need of blood.
Some thing you may not have known:
- Only 5% of the populations who can donate blood actually do.
- Your one donation can save up to three lives
- 85% of the population will require blood transfusion at some point in their life.
- Red blood cells are only viable for 42 days.
Please give blood on Wednesday, August 4, and help patients waging their own war on survival.
You are eligible to donate if you meet the following criteria:
• Are at least 17 yrs old
• Weight at least 110 pounds
• Have not donated within the last 56 days
• Have not traveled abroad since 1980 for more then three cumulative months in Great Britain or six months cumulative in Europe.
If you have an hour to spare and would like to be a local hero please e-mail [mailtol:email@example.com] or call 274-3371 to schedule an appointment. I am also looking for volunteers to help staff the blood drive from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
On behalf of hospital patients in the Southern Tier, thank you in advance for your goodwill and generosity.
To improve your donation experience be sure to eat well the day of donation, drink plenty of fluids and get a good night's sleep!