Academic Support Services Top Ten FAQ


Contributed by Linda Uhll

There are many services available on campus to support students with disabilities and faculty members. The following is a list of frequently asked questions.

We hope this information is helpful in providing the best possible service to students.

1. How are accommodations determined?
Accommodations are based on documentation, case law, consultation with the student and best practice.

2. Is documentation required?
Yes, IC follows the documentation guidelines established by Educational Testing Service and AHEAD (the national organization for disability providers in higher education).

3. Is testing for learning disabilities provided on campus?
No, testing must be done by a licensed, qualified, independent practitioner. Depending on the disability, this may be a physician, psychologist or learning disability specialist.

4. Are services ever denied?
Yes, if students fail to establish that they have a disability that impacts one or more major life activity or fail to provide adequate documentation.

5. Sometimes we donít get notified until mid-semester or later. Why is that?
There are many reasons students may elect not to identify early in the process, i.e. recent diagnosis, onset of depression, fear of social stigma, etc. As soon as ACSSD has the documentation we notify the faculty member. In short, when we know, you know!

6. If I do get a late notification, do I have to accommodate the student retroactively?
No, accommodations begin when you receive the academic adjustment plan from ACSSD.

7. What about this whole issue of accommodated testing? Who is responsible for providing the accommodation?
This is a shared responsibility. Whenever possible, faculty should attempt to provide the accommodation. This allows students to ask questions and preserves the integrity of the exam. If you are not able to provide the accommodation, ACSSD is here to help.

8. Can faculty provide accommodation without an academic adjustment plan from Academic Support Services? We donít recommend it. In the absence of documentation, there is no way for a faculty member to know if the request for accommodation is legitimate.

9. Who is the ADA compliance officer and is there a grievance procedure in place?
The Director of Affirmative Action is the ADA compliance officer. If a faculty member has a concern about an accommodation , contact ACSSD first to discuss your concerns. If you do not get resolution, contact Affirmative Action for information about the official grievance procedure.

10. Where can I go to get more information about Academic Support Services for Students with Disabilities? Visit our website at Also the Central New York consortium has established a website at www.