HOME and Sustainably Conscious Learning Communities seek Faculty Fellows for 2010-2011
Contributed by Ronald M. Trunzo
Are you interested in interacting with students outside of the classroom? Are you interested in fostering a culture of interaction between students and faculty within the residence halls? Please consider serving as a Faculty Fellow for the HOME Program or Sustainably Conscious Living Community!
The HOME Program - Housing Offering a Multicultural Experience - is located in Terrace 3 and provides new and returning students with an opportunity to live in a culturally diverse environment where they can experience, discuss, and learn about cross-cultural and global issues. Programs offered to HOME residents include international guest lecturers, information sessions about study abroad, film discussions, cultural exchange dinners, and art and music events. The program goals are:
- To provide an inclusive multicultural community.
- To provide housing that assists residents in developing a multicultural perspective and directly connects them to people from other cultures.
- To create a living/learning experience in a residence hall.
- To offer significant academic programming dealing with issues of culture, race, ethnicity, and globalization.
- To share information and stimulate discussion on multicultural issues with the later campus.
- To motivate domestic students to participate in study abroad experiences.
The Sustainably Conscious Living Community (SCC) is located in Terrace 2, and offers an opportunity for Ithaca College students to:
- Understand the necessity of lifelong sustainable living
- Understand what is required to pursue sustainable lifestyles
- Become advocates of sustainable living and to educate the campus community about sustainable living through outreach programs
- Reduce their ecological footprint
- Understand the full environmental and social costs of their purchases, and how that relates to issues of sustainability
- Appreciate the importance of community, communication and collaboration to sustainability.
- Serve as a model program for sustainable practices at Ithaca College.
The responsibilities of a Faculty Fellow for HOME and Sustainably Conscious include:
- Attending an August planning meeting with the Residence Director and RA staff
- Attending the HOME/SCC Program opening orientation event during the first two weeks of the semester to meet and greet students
- Attending community dinners
- Planning and presenting programs/leading discussions that relate to sustainability, cultural diversity, and social justice education. Programs may include taking students to events on and off-campus, arranging for a presenter, and presenting on areas of personal interest/research.
Faculty Fellows must be full time faculty members, and are eligible to receive $1100 a year for professional travel, to purchase class resources/instructional materials, or for payroll. There will be two Faculty Fellows in the HOME Program and one Fellow in SCC. We are currently seeking to fill one position in HOME and the SCC position. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Ron Trunzo, Associate Director of Residential Life and Judicial Affairs, at 274-3141, or firstname.lastname@example.org by June 30, 2010. Thank you for your consideration!