Current Ithaca College community members may contribute stories and comments as well as view additional topics by logging in.
Contributed by Lauren Goldberg on 04/16/2013
This year, REMP (Resource & Environmental Management Program), in collaboration with other student organizations on campus, will be hosting the 12 DAYS OF EARTH WEEK! Each day we will celebrate a different theme in anticipation for one of the most exciting days of the season: Earth Day!
12 Days of Earth Day Schedule:
Apr 11, THU: Fresh Market Day
-Stop by at Towers Dining Hall during lunch for a special highlight on local ingredients in the diing hall hosted by the sustainability interns
Apr 12, FRI: BYOM- Bring your own mug
-Reduce your impact with a reusable mug/water bottle, and also get “spotted” with it on campus and receive a free goodie
- .99cent discounted water bottles available in the IC Bookstore
Apr 13, SAT: Do it in the Dark Day
- turn off your lights to save energy and enjoy the extended Spring sunlight!
Apr 14, SUN: Buy NOTHING day
- Buying nothing can have a greater impact on the environment than you may have thought!
EARTH WEEK EVENTS:
Apr 15, Mon: Meatless Monday
- 12-1pm Find out about meatless options in the dining hall Sustainability Interns will be tabling in the Terrace Dining Hall
- 4 pm Sustainability Cafe- CNS 112 Shane Hardy: "From Philosophy to Farming: Dirty Hands Make the Heart Sing (And Keep You Grounded!)"
Apr 16, Tue: Locavore day
- 7-9pm CNS 115 Celebrate the Amazon: A cultural experience
- In the Pub- sustainability interns will be tabling and highlighting upon local food options in the food court
Apr 17, Wed: No Shower Day
- 11am-3pm IC fems Natural Beauty Campaign- Cayuga Lake Room
- iCommit campaign in Towers dining hall hosted by the sustainability interns
7pm – Klingenstein Lounge - Global Health Distinguished Scholar Series - Citizens for Health - Getting Involved: Taking Action for a Healthier World
Apr 18, Thu: Sustainable Business Day
- 12pm - 1pm Business Sustainability Forumin Business School Room 111- Student presentations on sustainability research projects
- Noon-1pm Rally hosted by ELAN at the Free Speech Rock (outside of campus center)
7pm – Emerson Suites - Joy Bauer, Nutrition Expert for Today! Show
Bauer will serve as this year's Jessica Savitch Distinguished Journalism Lecturer.
Apr 19, Fri: Take a Ride Day
- 10am-2pm Bike Clinic with Bomber Bikes on the Academic Quad
- 2pm Tour of the Tompkins County Recycling Center hosted by the Eco-Reps- meet at the Textor Flag Pole at 2pm to carpool
- 3-4:30pm A Conversation with Mark Hertsgaard author of “Hot: Living on Earth for the Next Fifty Years” in Emerson Suites
- 4:30pm Group Bike Ride with Bomber Bikes, meet at the Textor Flag Pole
5pm - “Media for Social Responsibility” mini-course continues
Apr 20, Sat. Earth Action Day
- 9am – 9pm – Youth Power Summit / New Economy Summit at Ithaca College in the Park Center for Business and Sustainable Enterprise, Friends Hall
9am - 5pm - “Media for Social Responsibility” mini-course
- OSEMA’s Service Saturday Program- opportunity to volunteer in the local Ithaca community, for more information on how to sign up, email Don Austin - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apr 21, Sun. Sleep Outside Day
- 9am – 5pm - Youth Power Summit/Convergence continues in the Park Center for Business to equip participants with knowledge and skills to become more politically and environmentally engaged and aware.
- 1pm-4pm Earth Day at the Farmers Market- Interactive activities at the Farmers Market at Steamboat Landing
*Also Check out OREC in the bottom floor of the Fitness Center to rent sleeping bags, tents, stoves, and other outdoor gear to help you spend a night under the stars!
Apr 22!! Monday, April 22nd: EARTH DAY
- 10am- 3pm EARTH FEST (hosted by ICES and featuring 10 other Ithaca College clubs) in the Academic Quad- clothing swap, games, food, and fun!
- 2:30-4 Earth Week celebration at the Food Lab- cooking demo highlighting local, sustainable ingredients featuring executive chef Jeremiah Molina, nutrition specialist Julia Lapp, and sustainability coordinator Stephanie Piech. Free Samples will be provided.
- 4pm- Sustainability Cafe- CNS 112 Alan and Keeley McGarr O’Brian: "Keeley’s Cheese Co.: From New York to Ireland and Back Again for Value-added Dairy Production"
Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact Lauren Goldberg at email@example.com. We ask that requests for accommodations be made as soon as possible.