Current Ithaca College community members may contribute stories and comments as well as view additional topics by logging in.
Given the College delayed opening on Wednesday, February 5 due to weather conditions, we are providing the following clarification on compensation practices and recording of hours worked.
• All employees designated as “essential personnel” regularly scheduled to work the day shift and who reported to work at their normal time will be compensated at their regular rate and will receive an additional one and one-half times their regular rate for all hours worked from their regular start time through 9:30 a.m. The regular scheduled hours will be recorded as “Hours Worked” and the actual hours worked will be recorded as “Overtime @ 1 ½”. This will result in the individual receiving double time and ½ for the hours actually worked up until the College officially opened. (“Essential personnel” are designated individuals working in the College health center, office of public safety, and facilities.)
• Employees who are not designated as “essential personnel” and who reported to work at their regular scheduled time are not entitled to additional compensation for the time worked up until 9:30 a.m., when the College officially opened. These individuals will be paid for their regular work day at their regular rate of pay.
• Employees who are not designated as “essential personnel” and who were scheduled to work and reported in by 9:30 a.m. will be paid for all hours scheduled. These hours should be recorded as “Hours Worked” and will be paid at the individuals’ regular rate of pay.
• Employees who were scheduled to work once the College opened and who felt they could not report due to weather conditions will need to use paid time away, either vacation or personal time for the hours scheduled after 9:30 a.m. and not worked. Example: An employee working 7.5 hours per day scheduled to start work at 8:30am would be paid regular hours from 8:30am through 9:30 a.m. or 1.0 hours and would be required to use 6.5 hours of paid time away vacation or personal time to be paid for the regular 7.5 hour work day.
• Employees whose shifts begin after 9:30 a.m. should report to work as normal and will be paid at their normal rate. Those employees who do not report as scheduled will have to use vacation or personal paid time away for the entire shift.
• Please note, employees who were using sick time or previously scheduled vacation or personal time will not have those hours converted to emergency closing (regular) hours.
• Employees are still required to take their unpaid meal break and other breaks at their regularly scheduled time.
Note: Temporary and part-time workers who are not benefit-eligible will not be eligible for payment during the emergency closing unless they were considered “essential” and required to work. In that case, they should be compensated at double time and one-half.
© Copyright Ithaca College. All rights reserved; unauthorized use prohibited. All material on this server is produced by our community but, except for designated pages, is neither approved nor verified by Ithaca College.