iPad Pilot (Summer 2013 & Fall 2013)
During the Summer 2013 and Fall 2013 terms Information Technology Services and the Center for Faculty Excellence are continuing the Faculty iPad Pilot Program. ITS will loan out twenty 3rd generation iPads per term to faculty members who wish to explore its use for group projects, teaching, research and personal productivity. We welcome all Ithaca College faculty to participate in the iPad faculty learning community.
- The Summer 2013 iPad Pilot continues individual exploration and participation in faculty learning community.
- The Fall 2013 iPad Pilot will give preference to applicants with ideas for course, clinical or group projects. Proposals can include requests for more than one iPad.
Applications due May 6, 2013 at 5PM
iPads distributed May 21, 2013
iPads returned to ITS August 2, 2013
Applications due July 1, 2013 at 5PM
iPads distributed by the first week of classes
iPads returned to ITS January 13, 2014
Purpose of the Pilot
- To explore the use of the iPad for group work in the field, clinical settings and the classroom.
- To explore the use of tablet computing for teaching, research, and personal productivity.
- To learn basic skills of operating an iPad for a variety of functions such as creating media, note taking, annotation.
- To find discipline-specific apps, eBooks, or uses of the iPad.
- To create a faculty iPad community for sharing ideas and experiences.
- For ITS to gain experience supporting tablet devices in an institutional setting.
- The iPads are 3rd generation iPads (16 GB) with wireless and 4G capability. 3G service costs are not included in the iPad Pilot.
- Each iPad will come with a case.
- There are 5 keyboard-cases available.
iPad Pilot Activities
Pilot participants who are working on a group project will be:
- Required to work closely with ITS to coordinate the logistics of managing multiple iPads for their collaborators.
All pilot participants will be:
- Added to a Sakai Site called "iPad Pilot" for links to resources and to communicate with the other iPad Pilot participants.
- Encouraged to go through a set of tasks at their own pace from setting up email to making videos to downloading iBooks.
- Encouraged to do a small project or investigation of apps, books, or uses of the iPad for their own research or teaching.
- Encouraged to attend iPad round tables.
- Encouraged to share their experiences with their colleagues.
- All full time faculty, with a minimum of a one year appointment are eligible to apply to be in the pilot.
- Prior experience with tablets is not necessary.
- Applications consist of a short form which includes the applicant's goals for participating in the pilot.
- The iPad is not a gift and remains the property of Ithaca College and must be returned by August 2, 2013 for the summer pilot and January 13, 2014 for the fall pilot.
- Participants must have an Apple ID to sync their iPad and download free or paid Apps or iBooks.
- Personal data will be removed after iPads are returned.