Horn Audition Requirementsfor IC Ensembles, 2013-2014
Please prepare the first movement of one of the following (you must use your own copy of the solo during the audition):
- Strauss Concerto No. 1, Op. 11
- Mozart Concerto No. 2, K. 417
- Mozart Concerto No. 4, K. 495 (no cadenza is necessary)
- The Brahms, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and Wagner excerpts will all be performed this year by the Ithaca College Orchestras.
- You WILL NOT play all of these excerpts in your audition, but you should be PREPARED to play all of them.
- All of these excerpts can be found on hornexcerpts.org AND imslp.org which is where each link will take you respectively.
- The links to hornexcerpts.org have a link on each page that says "Printable Version." You should use that.
- Please be sure that you pay attention to the transposition of all the included excerpts!!!
- The excerpts from imslp.org are all PDF files with MANY, MANY pages, most of which you DO NOT need to print out, ESPECIALLY the parts to Wagner! If you follow the instructions I've given, there will only be a few pages to print, in fact, only 2 Pages of Brahms; you should probably just print out the whole 1st part to Tchaikovsky so you have it; and 5 pages of Brahms.
- PLEASE be sure that you are listening to recordings of the music below. Hornexcerpts.org includes short excerpt-only links to recordings, and imslp.org includes links to recordings. YouTube and iTunes are great resources, as well as the Ithaca College Library link to Naxos recordings. LISTEN.
- Music will be provided for the excerpts in the audition OR you may use your own copies.
Shostakovich Symphony No. 5
*1. http://hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/shostyS5/shostyS5_1.html (Excerpt No. 1 ONLY—the "Low Horn" excerpt, From #17—# 21)
Brahms Symphony No. 2 (Note that the first Brahms excerpt includes all four horn parts, four measures each)
*5 & *6. Horn I AND Horn II, mvmt. IV—Letter P to the end (page 7 and 14, respectively, of the PDF below)
Beethoven Symphony No. 7 (note that this is only Excerpts 1, 2 & 3, both parts)
Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 6 (Horn I is 11 pages long in the PDF below)
*10. Horn I, mvmt. I, Letter L to the end
*11. Horn I, mvmt. II, beginning to letter G
*12. Horn I, mvmt. III, Letter V to letter Ee
*13. Horn I, mvmt. IV, mm. 37 to letter E, AND Letter H to letter K
Wagner Prelude and Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde
*14. Horn I, p. 1 (this is the Prelude)
*15. Horn I, p. 28 beginning on the 4th stave to the end (this is the Liebestod)
*16. Horn II, p. 1—(which is p. 29 of this PDF file)
*17. Horn III, p. 1 (this is the Prelude)
*18. Horn III, p. 26 beginning at the end of the 4th stave to the end (this is the Liebestod)
III. Possible Sightreading