Horn Audition Requirements for IC Ensembles 2014-15
Horn repertoire for 2014-15 IC Ensemble placement auditions:
First movement of any one of these concertos, your choice:
- Strauss Concerto No. 1
- Mozart Concerto No. 2
- Mozart Concerto No. 4
The first three excerpts are found on hornexcerpts.org.
Please note that each link will take you to a page that includes links to audio clips of the excerpt AND a link that says PRINTABLE, which will give you a better looking version.
- Shostakovich Symphony No. 5 | http://hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/shostyS5/shostyS5_1.html
- Brahms Symphony No. 3 | http://hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/brahmsS3/brahmsS3_2.html
- Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 5 | http://hornexcerpts.org/excerpt_pages/tchaikS5/tchaikS5_1.html
The next two excerpts can be found by following these links on the imslp.org website. There are numerous places online that you should be able to find recordings of these pieces. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the music.
- Sibelius Symphony No. 5 | http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/3/32/IMSLP49661-PMLP38348-Sibelius-Sym5.Horn12.pdf (1st horn part only, pages 1-4. 1st movement: first 4 bars; Letter E-H; Letter N-Q )
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade | http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/7/70/IMSLP40972-PMLP04406-Rimsky-Op35.Horn12.pdf (1st horn part only, pages 1-8. We might ask anything, but specifically pay attention to all solos on pgs. 2, 4, 5 & 7; and Letter U on pg. 7)
- Respighi: Pines of Rome (PINI DI ROMA) | There are two pages in this PDF, from the 1st movement. Page 1: #1-#3; Page 2: #8-end of movement. (These are bad copies of rental parts, so please excuse all the extraneous markings. Again, be sure you have listened to recordings!)
3. Possible sight-reading