Auditions - Fall 2014
Hello, aspiring jazz vocalists! - The Ithaca College Vocal Jazz Ensemble is looking for singers!
The Ithaca College Vocal Jazz Ensemble (ICVJE), led by Doug Avery, features jazz for voices, both a cappella and accompanied by a rhythm section. Currently, three performances are scheduled for the 2014-15 school year. More may be added if the opportunity arises.
All Ithaca College students regardless of major are eligible to audition for placement into the Vocal Jazz Ensemble.
Auditions for the ensemble will be held on Thursday, August 28th, with slots beginning at 6PM in Nabenhauer (4308).
Please note that everyone who is interested (even those who have previously been in the group) must sign-up prior to (and audition on) Thursday, August 28th.
Any students wishing to audition should sign up for a time slot on the sheet posted in the music building (Whalen) by the 2nd floor room #2323 (Dr. Susan Avery's office).
The audition will last roughly 8 minutes. please be warmed up & ready 10 minutes before your audition time. There will be an "audition interview" sheet you should fill out BEFORE your audition time. You should be prepared to:
1) Sing a song of your choosing that you know well (jazz standard preferred). PLEASE bring music for your song! I will accompany you on the piano, or you may accompany yourself, or bring an accompanist. If you have nothing to sing, be prepared to sing "America, the Beautiful" and experiment in different styles. I will have several of the more singer-friendly volumes of the Jamey Aebersold jazz books and accompaniments, as well as the Hal Leonard Jazz Tracks (Men's and Women's volumes). Please arrive extra early if you need time to look for a song.
2) Sing a one octave chromatic scale up & down- Starting note of you choice.
3) Sight-sing a short excerpt.
4) Improvise (scat-sing or make up a melody with words) over a 12-Bar Blues chord progression. If you have never improvised vocally, be prepared to demonstrate your willingness to try.
The Vocal Jazz Ensemble meets Tuesday & Thursday evenings 6:05-7:55 PM. Scheduled concert dates are for 2014-15 are October 24, December 11, and April 28.
Music majors may receive .5 elective credit for the ensemble, non-music majors may receive 1 liberal arts credit.
Rhythm section players interested in playing in the group should discuss their interest with Jazz Studies Director Michael Titlebaum (email@example.com) and contact the director Doug Avery at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Membership will be posted on Friday evening, August 29th, along with other choral ensembles.
I look forward to hearing you!
- Doug Avery, Director ICVJE
If you have trouble choosing a song, you may choose one from these PDF's Choose the key that is most comfortable for you.
"My Romance" by Rogers and Hart
"Blue Skies" by Irving Berlin:
"Embraceable You" by George & Ira Gershwin;
If you have any questions please contact Doug Avery at email@example.com