Auditions - Fall 2016
REGISTRATION - Please do not register for Jazz Vocal Ensemble until auditions have been completed and membership determined.
ABOUT THE GROUP
The Ithaca College Jazz Vocal Ensemble (ICVJE), led by Dr. John White, features jazz for 16 voices, both a cappella and accompanied by a rhythm section.
PERFORMANCES Currently, four performances are scheduled for the 2016-17 school year. Additional performances are in the process of being negotiated. A special performance at the 2017 New York Voices Vocal Jazz Camp is being planned for early August 2017 (held in Ithaca). Performances for Fall 2016 include:
- November 5th, 7:00
- December 2nd, 8:15
All Ithaca College students regardless of major are eligible to audition for placement into the Jazz Vocal Ensemble. Please note that everyone who is interested (even those who have previously been in the group) must audition each year.
The Jazz Vocal Ensemble meets Tuesday & Thursday evenings 6:05-7:55 PM. Attendance at every rehearsal is expected.
The Ithaca College Jazz Vocal Ensemble is looking for singers!
Auditions for the ensemble will be held on Thursday, August 25th in Whalen #4308 (Nabenhauer Recital Room). 10-minute audition slots will begin at 6:05 PM and end at 10:05 PM. (Additional times MAY become available at the discretion of the Director.)
Since the deadline for on-line signup has passed, at this point any students wishing to audition should sign up for a time slot on the sheet posted in the music building outside of Prof. White's office, Whalen #3202. Once you sign up, immediately contact Prof. White to obtain additional instructions, guidance, advice, etc., at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
The audition will last no longer than 10 minutes. Please be warmed up & ready 10 minutes before your audition time. There will be an "audition interview" sheet for you to fill out BEFORE your audition time. You should be prepared to do the following at the audition:
1. Sing a song of your choosing that you know well (a jazz standard preferred but not required). PLEASE bring music for your song! I will accompany you on the piano, or you may accompany yourself, or bring an accompanist. If you have nothing to sing, be prepared to sing "America, the Beautiful" and experiment in different styles. If you have trouble choosing a song, you may choose one from these PDF's (see also DOCUMENTS on the left margin of this page).
"Blue Skies" by Irving Berlin:
"Time After Time" by Sammy Kahn and Jule Styne;
2. Sing a one octave chromatic scale up & down- Starting note of you choice. Use of solfege is highly encouraged (but not necessary).
3. Sing a few call-and response patterns (actually, call-and-repeat or call-and mimic) with Prof. White.
4. Using the voice part of your choice (for which you're auditioning), sing the assigned excerpt ("Desafinado," arr. Phil Mattson, measures 38-59) with text. You'll be given the starting pitch. Be prepared to sing both with and without accompaniment. A copy of the music may be found below (link) and in the "Documents" folder (lefthand margin).
5. SIGHT READING---read this carefully!
a. No more than one hour prior to your rehearsal, outside of Whalen 4308 (Nabenhauer) pick up the "sight reading" excerpt.
b. You will have at most one hour to prepare YOUR chosen voice part. Prepare as much of the excerpt as you can in the time allotted, giving precedence to quality of preparation (that is, mastery) rather than quantity of preparation (that is, number of measures). If you don't master the entire excrpt (which is fine), you may be asked to sightread the portion not mastered.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Membership (audition results) will be posted by Saturday noon, August 27th, on Prof. White's bulletin board (if not sooner). A list will also be posted outside Dr. Janet Galvan's studio. You may also contact Prof. White directly at email@example.com to obtain audition results.
If Jazz Vocal Ensemble is not their not the required major ensemble, a music major may register for 0.0, 0.5 or 1.0 credit, which would count toward music electives. Non-Music majors may take the ensemble for the same amount and it would count as liberal arts credit. Jazz-studies-and-vocal-majors may use Jazz Vocal Ensemble as the major ensemble (in which case, registration would be for 1.0 credit).
Rhythm section players interested in playing in the group should discuss their interest with Prof. John White (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jazz Studies Directors Michael Titlebaum (email@example.com) Nick Weiser (firstname.lastname@example.org),Greg Evans (email@example.com), or Michael Titlebaum (firstname.lastname@example.org, who is currently on sabbatical).