Study Abroad

Meeting with a Study Abroad AdviserMeeting with a Study Abroad Adviser

If you would like to meet with a study abroad adviser to discuss program options, or if you have any questions about the study abroad process, you are welcome to schedule a meeting. We do recommend that, before meeting with a study abroad adviser, you meet with your academic adviser to discuss how study abroad will fit in with your academic requirements. Specifically, you should come to the study abroad advising meeting prepared to give us information about the following:

  • Where you want to go: If you are not certain, at least think about coming up with a short list of preferred destinations or a world region/continent that is of interest to you.  You should look through the programs we have to offer to get a sense of all of the different locations available to students.
  • Which semester you would like to go: You will need to discuss the timing of your study abroad experience with your academic adviser to ensure that it will fit well with your degree requirements.
  • The type of coursework you need to take while abroad: Again, your academic adviser will be able to assist you in answering this question. This can be as general as “liberal arts electives”, or as specific as coming in with a list of exact course titles that you will need. The more information you can bring in, the better we will be able to help you choose an appropriate program.
  • Financial aid, scholarships, grants, or loans you may receive: If you can bring in a list of the aid you currently receive, we can take this information into account when advising you to make sure your study abroad experience will be as affordable as possible.  It is important to note that Ithaca College institutional aid (scholarships or grants given by Ithaca College) is only eligible to transfer towards the cost of an affiliated program one time during your time at Ithaca College.

You can schedule this meeting by calling the office at 607-274-3306 during normal business hours, or by filling out the Study Abroad Appointment form.