Guiding Principles: CSTEP, C-STEM and HEOP Objectives/Goals
Ithaca College Guiding Principles:
1. We are committed to active learning that develops knowledge and skill through a variety of experiences in the classroom, community, laboratory and other settings.
2. We prepare students for success in college and in life.
3. We believe intellectual and personal growth reach their highest potential in an atmosphere that is both challenging and supportive.
4. We embrace diversity as an integral part of the educational experience and of the community we create.
CSTEP and C-STEM Objectives/Goals:
- CSTEP & C-STEM provides experiential activities aimed at developing the skills needed for STEM-targeted careers
- CSTEP & C-STEM provides research/internship experience(s) for each student prior to graduation (coursework that includes clinical experience may satisfy this requirement)
- CSTEP & C-STEM collaborates with faculty, department chairs, and deans to engage in strategies to:
- Identify (and match students with) faculty mentors
- Identify faculty to sponsor research
- Identify faculty/staff to assist students in obtaining internship opportunities
- CSTEP & C-STEM provides experiential activities aimed at developing the skills needed for STEM-targeted careers (i.e., oral and poster presentations, student conference attendance and active participation, research publishing, and graduate school fair and graduate school conference participation)
- CSTEP & C-STEM provides services and activities to enhance and increase students’ entry into, and performance in, STEM-targeted professions (i.e., tutoring, academic and professional development workshops, academic skill development, and a partnership with Kaplan Inc. who provides participants with graduate school exam preparation)
- CSTEP & C-STEM increases diversity on the IC campus. Specifically, C-STEM increases student diversity and enriches the college community by enrolling participants from historically underrepresented groups (African American, Latino American, Native American, and Alaskan Native) and students economically disadvantaged. Ultimately, the mission of CSTEP & C-STEM is to increase historically underrepresented groups in STEM fields and licensed professions
- HEOP provides the necessary support services that will assist incoming and continuing program students in succeeding academically. To meet this goal, several objectives are designed to expose students to professional conferences and the world of work. Additionally, HEOP creates opportunities for faculty interaction with HEOP participants outside of the classroom. HEOP students can participate in the OSG-ALANA Faculty Mentoring Program. This program allows HEOP participants opportunities to be matched with faculty mentors who can sponsor research and assist students in obtaining internship opportunities
- HEOP provides the necessary support services that assist incoming and continuing program students with succeeding academically. HEOP prepares participants for the world of work. Collaborations with CSTEP/C-STEM, Career Services, Alumni Relations, Office of Student Engagement and Multicultural Affairs, Academic Enrichment Services, Disability Services, and identified faculty help to develop and introduce experiential and co-curricular activities/programming aimed at preparing students for success in college and life
- HEOP strives to retain students until graduating from IC and HEOP assists with pursuing postgraduate and/or employment opportunities. HEOP prepares participants for graduate and professional education. Through the Ithaca College CSTEP/C-STEM partnership with Kaplan Inc. of Ithaca, any HEOP participant can receive discounts on graduate school exam preparation courses. HEOP participants are encouraged to attend graduate school fairs/conferences and are assisted in the graduate/professional school application process. HEOP and Career Services assist students with planning (e.g., resume, cover letter, and interview preparation) and securing employment opportunities
- HEOP increases diversity on the IC campus. Specifically, HEOP increases student diversity and enriches the college community by enrolling HEOP participants from historically underrepresented groups (African American, Latino American, Native American, and Alaskan Native) and students economically disadvantaged
- HEOP strives to provide service learning opportunities that reinforce responsibilities for citizenship and service in the global community, which includes providing opportunities to increase aesthetic appreciation and character development. All HEOP programming aims to create meaningful educational experiences to teach participants how to embrace and appreciate diversity
HEOP is an opportunity program which provides access to higher education. CSTEP and C-STEM are opportunity programs which provide access to STEM fields/careers. HEOP, CSTEP and C-STEM are NOT diversity programs.